Sign in to follow this  

Cracked Excel - repair and replacement for trails

Put a new $37 Dunlop (thanks, RMATV) on my '02 YZ250 today. Found the rear OE Excel is starting to crack on one side at the weld. Of course, I didn't notice this until the tire was all the way on and I was wiping the lube off the rim. The visible part of the crack goes about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way up the vertical part of the rim on one side.

There are a couple flat spots on the rim away from the crack, too, so I figure I am headed for replacement, but I'd like to hold it together long enough to wear out this Dunlop and a Kenda I've got waiting. I marked it and will watch it like a hawk. Hope it doesn't move much through the life of this tire. I know a really good weldor, so I'll probably have him do his best either if the crack moves or when I change tires. And when that stops working, make the change.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about what rims are best? Another Excel? Pro Wheels?

I'm thinking if I'm going to buy a new rim and either lace it or get it laced, I might as well switch to an 18, since I'm mostly interested in trails. Seems like there are fewer tires in 110/100-18 than 110/90-19. Michelin doesn't even come up in that size. Anyone find that to be problematic over the long term for price/selection/availability? I already thought about trying a trials tire. Will a 120/100-18 fit or rub on the YZ250?

I ride some desert, some singletrack in the SoCal mountains.

Keep an eye on it, but don't let it stop you from riding more. I have gone over a year on a cracked rims, riding and racing pretty frequently. If it was convenient, I had it welded up or put some JB Weld on it, otherwise I didn't even think twice about it.

Personally I'd replace it. The last thing I'd want is for that to split at 75m/h on the highway, or 20 miles in the forest from the nearest road.

Replaced front and rear on my ktm with Moose Racing rims about two years ago. Holding up great, at a third of the cost of the Excel rims. TT store carries them.

I have a new never ridden 19" take off with spokes if interested pm me.I went with a 18" and have not had any trouble finding the tires I wanted.

I've had 3 excels crack on me in the last year, at the weld. I bought warp 9's and relaced them myself. Number 3 is getting laced up tomorrow when the rim arrives.

I guessing they crack from age and flexing or what ever movement they may go through while ridding.

I don't know if one is WAY better than the other.

iv got a 02 yz as well and my rear cracked same place bought 4 years ago i ride or race at least 3 times a week i just keep a eye on it i run bib mooses so theres no chance it can pinch my tube eather just keep a eye on it if ur really worried bought it take a very small drill and drill a hole just below where you think the bottom of the crack is that should stop it from getting bigger

:busted:

Lots of the Moose stuff is rebadged something else. Anyone know what their rims would be equivalent to?

I dont know about the rims but I have some Moose RC HI bend bars that have held up great. Look alot like renthal bars.

edit: Replace the cracked rim.