Sign in to follow this  

xr 400s any good

They're most well known for their rock solid reliability. Sure they still require maintenance, and of course stuff breaks. But generally they're great bikes. Only complaints you might find:

Stock suspension needs different springs minimally

Can be hard to start with the stock carb and has no electric start

No 6th gear

Would love to hear some details please, sounds like fun. Seriously.

On last weeks 10 day,10 riders trail ride.Only bikes to make it 3 -10 year old Xrs 1 xr250 -2 xr4s

No 6th gear

The XR250 96-on has 6 gears.

Whoops, my bad, just realized this thread is for a 400.

Edited by Enc_1
wrong bike

I will be buried with mine since it has taken me every where I've wanted to go without a problem yet.... if you know what I mean! :busted:

I've had my xr4 since it was new in 1999. No problems with anything to speak of. Basic maintenance is a snap and if you invest in a shop manual even the stuff that looks complicated can be managed. It has never let me down or caused me to cancel a ride. Find one that has not been abused and you should get good service. Maybe the best trail bike ever. If it had e-start it would be the best trail bike ever. It's not a lightweight and it's not the fastest thing out there but I don't care. The more I ride and service my CRF250X, the more I like my XR4.

Extremely solid and reliable trail bike. Stock suspension is pretty bad, stock carb is not up to task. The '96 I am currently riding has had the stock suspension revalved/resprung by MotoPro for enduro/hare scrambles riding, installed a TM34 flat slide, waaay better than factory.

The swing arm bolt can seize up if not removed and cleaned occasionally.

Stock engines are as close to bullet proof as they come.

Mine broke a piston ring, which is just weird.

I have read about a few XR400 engines blowing up.

All either had 440 kits or were neglected.

They are not as fast top end as your cr250 but they make awesome torque right off the throttle which I love. I have put over 3000 miles of trouble free riding since i got my bike. clean the air cleaner and change the oil and ride worry free. I am 6'1 225 so in my opinion the xr 400 isn't heavy at all and it makes the perfect trail bike. If you like reliabilty and low/mid range power get the xr 400 or 650. The 400 DRZ-E Model is a good bike for mid-top end power if you like that sort of thing. My brother has a DRZ-S model and it is fun to ride with the higher rpm power but I wouldn't trade top-end power for the power of my xr400 for nothing. I find the xr funner to ride. We are side by side 0-65 MPH, granted he is 30 lbs heavier and his bike is a little heavier also.

Plus the xr400 gods on this site can help you out with any problems you may have, they have helped me out a ton!:busted: