Sign in to follow this  

Drz212cc build

I documented this over on another site and have recently fifnished the bike. I figured I would share it over here on TT. I'll post pics and specs and what I did to get to 212cc's over the next day or so.

december2010010.jpg

65.5mm piston, shorter lt160 rod, stroker pin

I couldn't find a split bearing that was the correct size for the big end of the rod so i had to make my own from two seperate bearings.

april2011028.jpg

mayjunepics056.jpg

drzcrank005.jpg

drzcrank004.jpg

mayjunepics055.jpg

thanks Tom! I did get alot of my info off here from other threads, and am gratefull for the informative posts by others.

Tom I'm looking for a dr200 engine to do a build on. let me know if you know of any out there.

twowheeltom had made mnervouse about breaking cases so i added a frame cradle to stiffin everything up

cradle1.jpg

cradle.jpg

cradle2.jpg

cradle3.jpg

You are obviously very talented. Dr 200 motors are becomming somewhat rare...but I may have a line one one...ill ask to see if my friend wants to give it up. He was going to build one like mine, but has been stalled out for over two years now.

By the way, I found mine by posting a wanted add on craigslist. Bought two bikes with motors for 650. You never know, post and you might get lucky!

Tom there are guys way more talented that I am on here but one thing for sure i'm not afraid to try things. This was the first crank I ever pressed apart and re-assembled and it was a little nerve racking but it worked out. I grew up with my dad refusing to pay someone for something he was capable of doing and I pretty much have fallen in to the same mind set.

anyway thanks for the compliment and let me know if your buddy will part with that engine, in the mean time i'll post a wanted add on craigslist.

That's impressive. I've got a DR200 motor you can build up, I'll even pay for the shipping to send it back to me when you're done!

The motors are out there, you just have to keep looking. Also add SP200 to your list as this is the same except for having a beefier stator to run more lights than the DR200 does.

Keep up the great work!

Very cool build :busted::thumbsup:

The other option is to find just the DR200 crank and stuff that into the 125 cases . I've not tried that yet but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work . Gear clearance could be an issue but your well aware of what that means so just make sure to check that out.

the 200 crank will hit the gears if you wanted to use it you would have to machine down the crank halves

Weren't you the guy that built that half insane KLX motor using a smoker piston a few years ago? Or did you just build a bad ass on the outside KLX?

As far as I'm concerned...norcal is the god father of this little motor. Evrything he has ever told me about this motor has been worth its weight in gold. If he says it won't work, that's probably through experience. If he says it will......well....probably the same reason.

the 200 crank will hit the gears if you wanted to use it you would have to machine down the crank halves

Ok So that's good info . Since you had no trouble splitting the 125 crank for the offset stroker pin this should be just as easy . split the crank machine the weights on the lathe (or get someone to ) and press it back together . now you have a 200 with a lighter crank . This may require some balancing ??

yes that is our 273cc mountan bike this is our own combo piston crank ect. this thang realy hals. and is dependable

Ok So that's good info . Since you had no trouble splitting the 125 crank for the offset stroker pin this should be just as easy . split the crank machine the weights on the lathe (or get someone to ) and press it back together . now you have a 200 with a lighter crank . This may require some balancing ??

You can turn the crank webs down without ptessing it apart. I havent done it yet but a friend of mine has. He puts a bunge cord thru the small end of the rod to hold it out of the way then spins the crank in the lathe.