Sign in to follow this  

Crash damage, what to look for?

So I let a friend take my 07' for a spin around the block. He said he had ridden before and could handle the bike. Well, he didn't make it far. He whiskey throttled into a neighbors car about 20' from where he started. Hit the car in full wheelie. Best I can tell he hit the car with the peg & rear tire. Opened up that car like a can opener! He's ok, and his car insurance will be picking up the repair bill. The bike looks & rides fine, should I have it looked at by a pro?

Inspect bolts for tightness, look for anything that could have been cracked or more likely bent depending on how hard he hit the car. Also check the front tire alignment and if its angled to the left/right, just loosen the triples and push it back into place. I have had much worse crashes in the woods without any significant damage, maybe a bent peg/bars.

I very much doubt this warrants having the bike looked at, they're pretty durable, what type of riding do you do that you never crash?

Update, my friends insurance is not going to cover the repairs to the car!

Trust me I crash more than I would like to admit. But I've never hit a parked car so hard that it may be totalled! How come I take a slow speed tumble and I break all kinds of stuff, and he slams a parked car, then the bike slides down the asphalt and there is no damage?

How do I post a picture of the car?

How do I post a picture of the car?

there's a sticky about this, but anyway, the easiest way is to upload to a site like photobucket, then copy the image code....you get this by hovering the mouse over the image, and a list of codes come up. simply copy the image code, and paste it on TT.

How come I take a slow speed tumble and I break all kinds of stuff, and he slams a parked car, then the bike slides down the asphalt and there is no damage?

Did you ever see Chad Reed's crash in MX last year? I think it was at Spring Creek. Sometimes you get lucky....some times not.

You are lucky your bike is ok....not so lucky that your friend did what he did. This is why I have liability insurance on our bikes. Just in case. It is very cheap.

live and learn. really not many reasons good enough to let someone ride my bike other than me.

Tell them when they buy it from you, then they can ride it all they want.