Sign in to follow this  

educate me about CZ's

Having just finished my 1st season of vintage racing i have questions about Cz,s. The area i rode in during the 70.s,no one i knew had a cz,saw a few maicos,lots of huskys and jap bikes.Ive owned and ridden quite a few diff bikes but not a cz.Now at the vintage races I,m surrounded by them! They seem fast and appear to handle well.What makes them so popular now?is it the power,handling,weight,reliability etc.hoping someone can explain and compare and contrast to other bikes of the period. Would love to ride one someday to see for myself. thanks for any replies. Brett

There used to be quite a few of them in Mn. when I started MX'ing. And you evaluated them accurately. The were quite fast, handled well but I also remember that, compared to the competition, they were pricey when new. I have no idea what parts availability is now though!

Having just finished my 1st season of vintage racing i have questions about Cz,s. The area i rode in during the 70.s,no one i knew had a cz,saw a few maicos,lots of huskys and jap bikes.Ive owned and ridden quite a few diff bikes but not a cz.Now at the vintage races I,m surrounded by them! They seem fast and appear to handle well.What makes them so popular now?is it the power,handling,weight,reliability etc.hoping someone can explain and compare and contrast to other bikes of the period. Would love to ride one someday to see for myself. thanks for any replies. Brett

Try this website....www.czstuff.com...might be something there for you. :busted:

im no CZ buff, but i know they have a great reputation. i do see quite a few at vintage races as well. my dad grew up riding in the 60s and 70s and his last bike was a 74 YZ125A. every time we start talking about vintage bikes he brings up how great the CZs were and how he was always chasing them. my guess is that they were the husabergs and KTMs of the time. very good quality, bullet proof, but cost a little more than the jap bikes of the day.

I owned 3 CZs back in the day, and even worked in a CZ shop in Virginia for a while.

CZs cost more back then because of the extra import taxes put on the bikes because they came from a communist country (the former Czechoslovakia). Anything imported from behind in Iron Curtain was taxed extra.

Their reputation came from their incredible reliability. The tolerances were very close on all parts, so it was like every single machine was blueprinted! Many parts seemed to be over-engineered, but because of that, they just didn't break.

I just bought another CZ 400 a couple of months ago, just so I can start running Vintage MX events in the northwest. It looks a little ratty, but is in very good condition mechanically. I plan to do a little cosmetic work on it over the winter, but other than some basic checks, I won't go inside the engine.