Sign in to follow this  

2006 yz250

Why are the 05-07 YZ's so hard to find in decent shape? I have been looking for a while and I have found a few. However, most are to far away or just beat to death.:busted:

It's not just YZ's, most bikes of that age are beat by now. Most people just don't maintain their stuff properly.

Some guys just simply think that their clapped out ride is in great condition. I looked at an '03 YZ125 a few months back that the seller stated was in "near new condition" when I called him. Since it was close, I went to see it in person.

Hmmmmm, Near New Condition included (to the best of my memory):

1) Bent rear wheel with severely worn tire.

2) Cracked front fender held on with a piece of sheet metal and some screws.

3) Torn seat.

4) Bad gouge in clutch case.

5) Completely worn out front and rear sprockets (chain looked good though).

6) Rust on frame around foot pegs (normal I know - but not near new).

The guy was asking $2800 if I recall. I offered him $1000 after pointing out everything I saw in my 2 minute inspection. He wouldn't budge and I walked.

Really, if he had put just a couple hundred in for simple replacement parts (plastics, seat cover, tire and sprockets), the bike would have looked pretty good. As was, after seeing how he maintained the outside of the bike, I was wondering what the inside was like.

I wonder if he ever did sell it.

Lets hope for the thread opener that he is more lucky :busted: Not all people are the same anyway and just maybe someone does not care about the outside as much as about the inside.

True, that some care more about mechanical condition verses cosmetics. But I always assume that the inside is at least as poorly maintained as the outside.

If they don't care enough to take care of the really simple items, I doubt that they have changed the transmission oil, or inspected the clutch or topend. I would also doubt that they have done anything on maintaining the chassis bearings.

Just my personal thoughts on bike maintenance.

Im one of those guys that more concerned with mechanical quality than cosmetic.. The 120 for plastics buys a piston, or chain/sprockets, or brake pads, or about 15 oil changes. Since most my riding is in the woods, a "clean" bike will look trashed after a ride or two.. :busted:

Likewise here, but the people I ride with (sometimes :busted: ) are kind of very special when it comes to their shining bikes unfortunately for those bikes the care does not extend to their valve trains, carbs or oil changes. I organized so far about 4 manuals, one I know of who actually used it.

My preaching is stopped by deafness over here, when I start my speach of how important it is for them to maintain their bikes (spare parts over here are tripple the price from up north) as to make the cost of riding a question of calculation; the only thing I'm getting are rolling eyes.

Im one of those guys that more concerned with mechanical quality than cosmetic.. The 120 for plastics buys a piston, or chain/sprockets, or brake pads, or about 15 oil changes. Since most my riding is in the woods, a "clean" bike will look trashed after a ride or two.. :busted:

True enough. But I would bet that you would take the time to replace the sprockets with the chain if necessary. And you wouldn't leave a broken fender on there with a couple of screws and piece of sheet metal holding it together.

My '96 WR250 has all of the normal scratches and wear and tear for a bike that is 15 years old. I would really like to make it completely pristine, but the costs are prohibitive for a bike its age. I do keep it clean and all of the maintenance is done on a regular basis.

My point is that you can normally make a pretty good assessment of a bike by how it looks. Broken plastics, broken/bent levers, bent wheels, dirt inside the airbox and bald nobbies tell me that the owner doesn't spend the time to clean and maintain the easy stuff. I doubt they would change the oil or even inspect the topend on a regular basis.

My point is that you can normally make a pretty good assessment of a bike by how it looks. Broken plastics, broken/bent levers, bent wheels, dirt inside the airbox and bald nobbies tell me that the owner doesn't spend the time to clean and maintain the easy stuff. I doubt they would change the oil or even inspect the topend on a regular basis.

So so so so so true, I've learnt that the absolute hardest way.

Live and learn I guess.