Sign in to follow this  

94 cr250 clutch question

My clutch doesnt seem like it releasing very well. The bike has been sitting for about a year, and that explains a lot. But I was curious and started looking around anyway. I noticed that the arm that the cable attaches to lifts all the way up and hits the case when i pull the lever. Is that normal? If I remove the ignition components, can I pull that arm out, change its position some, and reinstall it? It looks to me like i can remove it, lower it from the 3 o'clock position down to around the 4-5 o'clock spot and not have to worry about it hitting the case. Is that how that works???

The clutch cable might be adjusted to tight if it's hitting the case. You can remove the ignition to get to the arm but there are no adjustments to be made. The part you can't see rotates and pushes a rod that pushes the pressure plate out. Since it's sat the plates are probably dry and stuck together. Pull the plates out and soak them in oil for a day. ATF type F I use. Inspect the basket fingers for grooves. I just replaced my 95 inner and outer basket with OEM. It's all better now.

...but there are no adjustments to be made. The part you can't see rotates and pushes a rod that pushes the pressure plate out....

That answers my question. I guess I just wasted $13 on a flywheel puller. Oh well, I may take it apart just to look at it. LOL. I have had the plates apart to make sure they were not still stuck together. They are still oily, but I can see residue from where the friction disks were stuck to the smooth plates. Hopefully a little riding will fix that.

How far does the pressure plate need to push out? Its not much is it? I'm thinking that if it moves the thickness of a friction disk, it should be enough to operate just fine.

How far does the pressure plate need to push out? Its not much is it? I'm thinking that if it moves the thickness of a friction disk, it should be enough to operate just fine.

I think your right it only moves about the thickness of a pressure plate. I don't have any specs on far it should move. Just from my own experience.

Post back on how it rides.