Sign in to follow this  

Washington Most Versatile Riding Area w/water

Taking a week long riding trip with the usual buddies in July. We've been doing this every year now since 2004. They all live in Oregon and I've been going down that way every year, but they're looking for something new. Distance is not a problem as long as it is in WA or OR. I've been searching through OOHVA.org, and NMAoffroad, but would like to get more details and personal experiences from you guys.

Things we're looking for:

1. Plenty of trail that we won't get tired of in a weeks worth of riding.

2. Water- Nothing beats an evening of fishing after a long days ride.

3. Dispersed Camping-we like to get away from the crowded camp spots, and find our own spot.

4. A variation in terrain. Example: Some desert, some sand, rock and woods. Alot to ask I know, but China Hat in Oregon was the closest we've found for trail variation, just absolutely no water.

5. Something that is open late June. Some of the areas I've been looking at in S. Oregon don't open until July 1st. (I wanted to go to the rogue river (Prospect) but they don't open until July 1st.)

Places I've already been:

OR-China Hat, Shotgun Creek, Henderson Flats, Upper Nestacca, Browns Camp, Huckleberry Flats, Mcubbins Gulch, Windom Frazier, Mt. Baber. Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route.

WA-Capital Forrest, Mattawa, Jones Creek, Looking for something new, Help me talk them into making the trip up this way this year!

One more question: Is Moses Lake strickly dunes or are there trails out there as well?

Thanks

Things we're looking for:

3. Dispersed Camping-we like to get away from the crowded camp spots, and find our own spot.

4. A variation in terrain. Example: Some desert, some sand, rock and woods. Alot to ask I know, but China Hat in Oregon was the closest we've found for trail variation, just absolutely no water.

5. Something that is open late June. Some of the areas I've been looking at in S. Oregon don't open until July 1st. (I wanted to go to the rogue river (Prospect) but they don't open until July 1st.)

WA-Capital Forrest, Mattawa, Jones Creek, Looking for something new, Help me talk them into making the trip up this way this year!

One more question: Is Moses Lake strickly dunes or are there trails out there as well?

Thanks

Gifford

Gifford again...lots of lakes to drive to and fill up water jugs for camp trailers

Gifford again...

No desert or sand...but plenty of trails, views and mountains!

Depends on snow pack...this last summer, spent a week up at Gifford the first week of August and still a ton of snow. Some of it never melted so...depends on the winter.

Gifford

Gifford again...lots of lakes to drive to and fill up water jugs for camp trailers

Gifford again...

No desert or sand...but plenty of trails, views and mountains!

Depends on snow pack...this last summer, spent a week up at Gifford the first week of August and still a ton of snow. Some of it never melted so...depends on the winter.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a closer look at it!

Idaho.

there is no good riding in idaho, and if there were, there is no water, and if there were, the good stuff wouldn't be rideable until mid-june.

watercrossing.jpg

Seriously, the place we recommend for tourists is baumgartner campground. Easier trails than the rest of the state, plenty of 'em, and you usually don't need a chainsaw to get back to camp.

The folks who keep the trails open would prefer it if you put on trials-tires for the summer

Hopefully steep exposed sidehills don't bother you.

smokey_sidehill.jpg

safesidehill.jpg

edge.jpg

there is no good riding in idaho, and if there were, there is no water, and if there were, the good stuff wouldn't be rideable until mid-june.

watercrossing.jpg

Seriously, the place we recommend for tourists is baumgartner campground. Easier trails than the rest of the state, plenty of 'em, and you usually don't need a chainsaw to get back to camp.

The folks who keep the trails open would prefer it if you put on trials-tires for the summer

Hopefully steep exposed sidehills don't bother you.

smokey_sidehill.jpg

safesidehill.jpg

edge.jpg

LLamaface- Thanks for sharing the pics! That looks like fun! (Not the water part though) :busted: I'm going to have a hard enough time getting them to think outside of OR and come up to WA for a week, let alone Idaho!