Sign in to follow this  

Toy Hauler short term winterizing

Hey guys,

I have a toy hauler that we pretty much use every other weekend for racing. Here in Georgia it doesn't get brutally cold but we do have days where the temps drop into freezing. How are you guys who use your campers/toy haulers frequently dealing with winterizing? I was thinking of just emptying the fresh water tank (leave 1/4 all time)and water heater after every use. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Alain

if it's freezing or slightly below outside, you won't normally have a problem with a trailer. it has to get into the low-mid 20's before it's any real concern in my experience, since the bulk of the trailer retains a fair amount of the warmth from the day. I don't really worry about the fresh water tank. Unless it's full, freezing shouldn't hurt it. The water heater is a bigger concern, but again, for high-20's weather, I don't bother. I just leave the fawcets open so there is room to expand in case some part of the system starts to freeze.

DRAIN All your low point drains,DRAIN grey,black and fresh water and hot water heater and just put a cap of antifreeze in all drains!

I keep the cabinets open under the the sinks to get warmer air to my pipes and water pump, and run a small portable heater in mine during the colder months. I drain all my tanks, pipes, and water heater though just in case. Like LLama said though, unless you are dropping into the 20's, probably not much to worry about. The one year I waited, it dropped down to 17 degrees one night and caused some damage, and costly repairs! :busted:

One more thing to add, open all faucets so if any expansion happens,(freezeing) pressure wont build up.

Thanks guys for all your input.

I will start leaving the faucets open, drain the water heater and leave the cabinets open if temps start dropping into the high 20's just in case. The place where I store the TH doesn't have electric so no way to leave a space heater on.

Thanks again

Alain

I'd also dump some RV Marine antifreeze down the sinks, maybe a pint each just to be on the safe side. I've seen plumbing drain traps freeze and crack at 20F.

My traps froze solid last year. lucky for me there were no cracks. the prev owner said it was winterized. This year I ran 3 gal of rv anit freeze through everything.