Sign in to follow this  

2007 sx125

I have an opportunity to pick up a 2007 125, and I was just wondering what (if any) problems this bike notoriously might have had. Seems like too good of a price to pass up, but I don't want to buy a roach.

:busted: Thanks all.

The only thing I've had an issue with is the stator cover seal failing, leaking in water and rusting the flywheel. When that happens and its not monitored, it can have a catastrophic failure. It happened to me and another friend of mine, so it CAN happen. Just something to be aware of!

Otherwise, awesome bike's! I love mine! :busted:

The 125, 144/150, and 200 vent very different than the 250, 300, or 380. They vent through the cases. There is a very small hole on the bottom of the engine you need to keep an eye on because it easily gets covered in mud blocks and traps moisture. It bit me when I got our small bore bikes. A simple check after your ride will ensure smooth sailing.

Joe.......

The 125, 144/150, and 200 vent very different than the 250, 300, or 380. They vent through the cases. There is a very small hole on the bottom of the engine you need to keep an eye on because it easily gets covered in mud blocks and traps moisture. It bit me when I got our small bore bikes. A simple check after your ride will ensure smooth sailing.

Joe.......

Yep, thats true! But, you also don't wanna get water in it to begin with! :busted:

How doe you do that? I do not think it is possible. The area must vent some way and if there is any vent moisture will find it's way in. I guess if you area in a very dry climate it would not be as much of a factor but on the west side of the Cascades it is wet. Supertrunk had an interesting mod that vented the left case above the flywheel. The picture below is from the 24 hour last year. Running that long with the engine getting hot then cold it pulls the moisture in.

Joe........

IMG_8861.jpg

Good grief Joe! Are the pumpkins in the background a hint that this is a KTM? :busted:

That's some serious mud!

How doe you do that? I do not think it is possible.

Ohh its simple, don't put a seal between the cover and the engine case. Ohh and if you do put a seal on it, don't bother to put sealant on it.

You'd be surprised how stupid motor builders are out here. I never bothered to look at that seal when I bought my bike, but after it blew up, I realized there wasn't a seal there at all! Every time I washed the bike, water would hit the flywheel and that whole chamber was constantly wet.

Thanks for all your guys' responses. Unfortunately, I don't know if the guy was trying to pull a fast one, or was just plain clueless, but the bike he was selling was an 02-03 SX 125, not an 07. It was quite beat up, unlike his "hardly been ridden" description. Needless to say I passed on it.

Thanks anyways tho. :busted: