Sign in to follow this  

California Stonyford 11/25-26

I have a group of friends planning to go to Stonyford the friday after Thanksgiving 11/25-26. We will be staging out of Davis Flats. I have never been there but I know how popular it is around Thanksgiving. Do you think that we will have trouble finding a place to camp?

BTW we will have at most, 3 motorhomes.

It will be packed by that time. People get up there early and some stay the whole week. You might have a hard time finding a spot. Just my 10 cents.

you can always go further up the road and camp at Letts lake. i was up there 2 years ago on thnxgvng weekend and there was spots available at that campground.

Davis Flat is a HUGE parking lot. It's bigger than WalMart. You could park 3 aircraft carriers there. :lol:

If you're driving a 27' motorhome, you may have to look for more than 5 minutes. :busted: :busted: It is a Holiday Weekend & I agree it will be crowded........... but I'm sure you can park. :bonk:

Now Letts Lake is up in the mountains. I've never driven a car to Letts Lake but it is a dirt road up there when I've driven my dirt bike around. I'm concerned a Motorhome might not be advisable.

Edited by superslyko

Davis flat is huge and I have seen it packed full on Thanksgiving weekend. That doesn't mean it is alway completely full but I have seen it happen. Good Luck

it depends on the weather, last year it rained and snowed the higher stuff in so it wasn't packed, but previous years when the weater was good it was so packed you could find a camp spot, lets lake and millvally road might be snowed in if this next storm has low snow levels.

Davis Flat is a HUGE parking lot. It's bigger than WalMart. You could park 3 aircraft carriers there. :lol:

If you're driving a 27' motorhome, you may have to look for more than 5 minutes. :busted: :busted: It is a Holiday Weekend & I agree it will be crowded........... but I'm sure you can park. :bonk:

Now Letts Lake is up in the mountains. I've never driven a car to Letts Lake but it is a dirt road up there when I've driven my dirt bike around. I'm concerned a Motorhome might not be advisable.

my buddy drove his motorhome up to letts lake and someone else had a toy hauler there too when we were there, so its definitely possible but i wouldnt wanna tow mine up there.

Thanks guys. I just found out one of my friends knows some people that are going up Monday and will save us a couple spots.

im heading out right now to fouts, ill have internet up on m5 so i can post, supper slyko id like to meet you if you show up, ill be in fouts loop space 2,or3 or 4

Snap_2011.11.18%25252009.17.37_001.jpg

I'm just not a big fan of riding in the rain. I don't even like puddles. Thanks for the invite. Next time! :busted:

I'm at stony ford , got in last night, and set up at fouts, it sprinkled a little, and is dry and dusty down low, and Windy and cold about 45 DEG. up high looks like it got a few showers and clouds, its 39 deg right now and i see stars up in the sky. and Sunday is the bear foot enduro. so i think the weather man was wrong on this one.

Snow level was halfway up Trail 6 yesterday, dumping hard and COLD...We reached the top of six, tried to make Trail 4 but had to turn back..These were the conditions around the teen trails as well - Letts and to the east was relatively warmer with way less pre-cip.

We rode today. The snow is still up high, but the east hills were epic. Rained pretty good starting at about 5 p.m. For the first timer, I will say one thing about crowded days. Stay off the M5 as much as possible. It was astounding how often riders, especially the younger ones, came around corners on the wrong side of the road. For crowded conditions, I would ride the east hills, like trail 28, 31, 23, 26, 21, 1 and the ridge trails as they aren't in such heavy tree cover. I biffed it today on trail 22 due to a near head-on. Luckily there was a hill to crash onto without any trees...rare for 22.

Edited by divebobber

I biffed it today on trail 22 due to a near head-on. Luckily there was a hill to crash onto without any trees...rare for 22.

Consider yourself lucky Bob!! 22 is deadly on a crowded weekend...

dyrtmon, RankDog and Vander didn't want to ride in the afternoon because of the crowd so my son-in-law and I rode that same trail that we did before you left (31-28-30). Didn't see another bike the whole way. It was my favorite ride of the day (maybe because I didn't fall for a change). BTW, if you want to try something gnarly, try going up 38. The first 100 yards is very challenging!

dyrtmon, i think me and my kid might of meet you turning around on trail 4, yz250 and ktm 200

You talked to my buddy Paul - I was the other guy who met you at Penny last year who is a friend of Matt..I was out riding when you walked by our camp.