Sign in to follow this  

81 XT250 - New owner

I just bought an 81 XT250 and I'm thrilled with it. Both because it runs great, and second, it's enough of a project to keep me busy, but not so much that the wife will hate it :busted:. I'm also a new rider. My wife and her family have ridden since childhood, so thought it would be great to give my 6 year old son a TTR-50, so I got this so we could ride together (I'm not thrilled about the paint job BTW).

myxt.jpg

Anyway, I have several questions and if these are common questions, just let me know and I'll wear out the search function. Thanks in advance.

1. If I coast for while, then go back to giving it throttle, there's a clunk from the rear, but then it smooths out. What are the potential causes? Incorrect chain tension? Bad sprockets? Rear wheel bearing/hub? If they all are, how to prioritize them?
  2. Are there other forums that I should get acquainted with?
  3. Previous owner had it wired to run without the key, I'd like to reverse this but I think it would be helpful to know how one would do this in the first place. Any advice here?

you can take the key assembly off and to a lock and safe store and have a key made.

the clunk may be coming from the swing arm bushings grab the rear tire and pull side to side and see if there is play and the look to see if it is rear wheel bearings or the swingarm .

I had an 81 that I removed the rear shock and made a dirt chopper out of.

for the paint mine was similar but ALL flat black..I sanded it down with wet/dry 400 grit and when I got down to the red I changed to 600 grit all the original paint was fine except where there where dents or scrapes

WIRING KEY.

Black & White. Engine stop signal, when at ground no spark, when floating sparking.

Brown, is switched power i.e. with the ignition switch on +6v is available to power the horn etc.

Blue and Blue and red wires, these carry the AC power to the lights. Some confusion here as when in park these lights are powered from the battery.

Light Blue 'sb; this is the neutral light wiring, take care here all the small lamps in the speedo are grounded apart from this one which is insulated from ground. Get this wrong and you short out the battery.

Chocolate is the left winkers.

Green is the right winkers.

Pink is the horn.

I grabbed the wiring key from a post in the past and copied it for future use so.... (some one elses info) and I can't remember where I found it ...I have lots of crap like this including every free manual I can down load...just in case!!

A couple of years ago,I bought an all original '82. Catch-up on the bulletin about lack of oil for the valves and perform the mod that was supposed to be done at the dealer before delivery. The bulletin tells you how to identify if it was done.

PM your email address to me if you need it, I have a jpg of the bulletin.

A couple of years ago,I bought an all original '82. Catch-up on the bulletin about lack of oil for the valves and perform the mod that was supposed to be done at the dealer before delivery. The bulletin tells you how to identify if it was done.

PM your email address to me if you need it, I have a jpg of the bulletin.

PM sent. Thanks!

Hi kitscott:

Nice old bike. Your bike has a "cush-drive" system to make the drive smoother. Here's a link to a parts page

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xt250g-dual-purpose-1980_model8766/partslist/E-03.html

...the rubber "dampers" on your bike are probably worn (part 23 on the page) which would cause a clunk when the drive was applied after coasting.

just a guess....

patuca