Sign in to follow this  

XR 650L 2nd gear does not engage

Last year i was riding my 2005 XR650L when i found out my second gear would not work. 1st worked and then I would have to skip 2nd... and use 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. being new with dirt bikes and engines I some how came up with the idea that I needed a new transmission. I took out my engine, started tearing it apart...deployed...came back, decided I didnt know what i was doing, gave it to some dude who claimed he knew what he was doin, he took off:

-The right side Cover and Clutch (luckly he didnt try to remove the flywheel)

-Left engine Cover

-Cylinder Head Cover (this is where i realized he didnt know what he was doing, although ive now realized there were earlier signs) he attempted to remove the cylinder head with out removing the camshaft.

-Removed 5 of the 6 cylinder head bolts

So i stopped him from working on it, and didnt do anything for a couple months. Now ive finaly got some reading material on the engine (service manuals from Clymer and cyclepedia) and have gone through all through all the steps and split the engine lower end. Ive realized a few things me and this dude did that could have messed this up and end up with the following questions:

1. What are some things i need to look for that this dude may have damaged on the cylinder head? For example, I read in the manual, you are supposed to losen the cylinder head bolts kinda like tightening lugnuts, and i know he didn do it, since he couldnt even reach the bolt under the camshaft. There is probably more stuff.

2. I tried to scrape the gasket off the right engine case and put quite a few scrape marks on it :busted:, how do i check if I damaged it so that it wont work right. (I am asumming i put it back together and see what happens when I fire it up) .

3. Now that ive got the lower end split...I cant see anything wrong with the transmission...........***? so back to the begining...why was second gear not working?

Ill keep reading these manuals but point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Edited by Jibbin19

You said you can't see anything wrong, but did you measure everything with a micrometer? As said before look at your shift forks and measure the thickness on the 2 ends of the shift forks and refer to your owners manuel. The forks are to be assembled in a certain order as well.

Alright Ill check the measurements and then post a reply. thanks

You`ll likely find the dogs,,,,,,,the part on the back of the gear that locks into the next gear...........are rounded off causing it to slip out of second gear,,this usually isn`t kind to the shift works either,,you find one worn or bent...pics posted here to show us the condition will get you more help...and we like being entertained by pics.....:busted::lol::busted:

So snap to it and post lots of pictures:lol:

B

yup, your right! Should i still do all the measurements on the transmission? If so, ill have to do it sometime this week...got side tracked.

2011-11-14 19.47.51.jpg

2011-11-14 19.52.49.jpg

yup, your right! Should i still do all the measurements on the transmission? If so, ill have to do it sometime this week...got side tracked.

It is likely that you found the culprits. I would measure the whole mess though... just to be sure. I ended up with a worn gear sneaking its way into my tranny when I rebuilt it because I didn't measure the whole mess. I am stalling tearing it down to fix it...

Yup,figured that........now look really closely for a worn/bent shift fork

Nice pics,,,got any of your wife/girlfriend.....like i said,we like pics:smirk:

B