Sign in to follow this  

How to?

Hey guys I'm sorry to post up up about this but after numerous searches and hours of no luck in finding what I'm looking for i give up.

I'm helping my friend with his 2003 CRF450R. We are doing the water pump seal oil seal all the bearings including balancer bearings. We took it apart awhile ago but and it took him forever to get the parts.

Now i have everything but i don't remember which direction the water pump and oil seal go in the right side cover. I cant tell by looking in the manual either.

I'm reading there is a great how to with pictures but i cant find it!!! Please help !!

Thanks!!

hours of searching on which direction the wp seal goes in?? you can't be serious :busted: very common topic.

anyhoo.. flat side toward the motor. yw.

So the spring of the seal should be visible behind the impeller correct?

What about the oil seal that goes behind it?

Thanks again for your help its appreciated

they face each other.. so the oil seal spring would be facing toward the motor, opposite the spring of the wp seal that you would be facing you

you have to remove the right side cover and pull the bearing then oil seal. start with the oil seal and bearing (inner cover) press in the oil seal first spring facing toward you(or inside of the engine.) then move to bearing and press it in. next flip the cover and install the water pump seal with the spring side facing you. while you have the water pump apart go ahead and take the impeller and drill out a 1/8 inch hole in between two of the fins with about 1/8 inches between each fin and the hole or about 3/8inches from the edge of the impeller. once you have the bearing and seals in go ahead and throw the shaft in put the right side cover on and install the impeller. then housing and you are good to go. you should have told him to order a shaft while he was at it ;p it is cheap insurance. and DONT forget the copper washer between the impeller and the shaft. so put it on before impeller :busted:

Thanks for the help.

What does the hole in the impeller do?

in layman's terms the hole in the impeller reduces the turbulence in the coolant when it is spinning at high rpm. it keeps both sides of the impeller equal in pressure pretty much. makes your seals last longer and and life of everything in turn lasts longer ;p. if you don't want to drill it out just order a 2006 impeller. but it is very easy to drill. takes about 5 mins

Drilled the hole! Takes 30 seconds when you have the right tools! Bikes back together and running.

My friend bought this thing brand new in 04. rode it around for a couple years, the water seal went while riding threw it in his shed for 5 YEARS in that condition.

And now shes all fixed up, brand new fluids (atf in the trans for now to wash the coolant out of the friction discs) and running like a champ. Thanks guys!

Drilled the hole! Takes 30 seconds when you have the right tools! Bikes back together and running.

My friend bought this thing brand new in 04. rode it around for a couple years, the water seal went while riding threw it in his shed for 5 YEARS in that condition.

And now shes all fixed up, brand new fluids (atf in the trans for now to wash the coolant out of the friction discs) and running like a champ. Thanks guys!

not a problem glad to hear its all back together ;p have a good one bud

Thanks guys.

Looks like a leak has sprung.

Looks like right to the upper left hand corner of where the shifter shaft comes out of the trans case there is a open hole. It appears to go all the way into the trans case. It is leaking a steady drop of trans oil, can someone show me whats suppose to be in this hole?

thanks again

if it is on the left hand side of the engine(stator side) and it is right in front of the shift shaft(towards front wheel) there are 2 bolts one is recessed under a lip of the case(transmission drain bolt) or one is on the stator cover area in front of the shift lever (engine oil) if they are aroudn that shaft i wouldnt want to run it. if you can post pictures or find a picture on line and circle it in paint or something i coudl help you much more ;p cheers