Sign in to follow this  

Oregon Where in the world to ride this winter?

Last winter was brutal. I did not ride from middle of November to late March!

Other than going over to South Millican or driving over 3 hrs. to Belfair, I cant think of anywhere that is within 2 hrs. of Portland Metro that isnt affected by low snow.

Does everyone take the winter off when we have low snow?

eddieville doesn't run much in the winter, riverdale and woodland on the other hand are great in the winter.

We ride all winter long here in bend...

When I was living in Salem I would go to Shotgun Creek in Springfield OR. It seemed to be the only place that never got much snow in the winter. It's about 2 hours from Portland.

I am not a track guy at all, but might have to hit riverdale or woodland if there isnt any trail riding available.

I did head over to Bend some 2 years ago, but it is a long haul from Portland area and going over the pass with the trailer stinks.

I have heard about Shotgun creek. Might be the best/closest option.

What are you talking about no riding from November to march?

Short of February to March, there was PLENTY of riding last year in the TSF!

There's also nearby MX stuff. Woodland, Riverdale, and Salem Indoor!

The TSF is open year-round. The higher elevation stuff gets snowed in for a few months, but you can push through it if you really want to. Shotgun creek is usually snow free, but is not that great of an area for a 2+ hour drive. Upper Nestucca is closer, but if Brown and Diamond Mill etc. are under snow Nestucca most likely is also. Millican Plateau barely ever has enough snow to hinder riding, but its a long drive for anything short of a three day weekend from Portland IMO. You can always go to Sand Lake (a joke IMO), Florence and those other coastal dune areas. There are a few areas around the Vancouver, WA area also that are pretty low elevation. Just expect a crowd if everything else is under snow.

The TSF is open year-round.

Haven't been there in awhile during the fall/winter months, good to know.

Last winter was brutal. I did not ride from middle of November to late March!

You probably should get Yamaha, so you can ride more.... :bonk: :bonk:

Other than going over to South Millican or driving over 3 hrs. to Belfair, I cant think of anywhere that is within 2 hrs. of Portland Metro that isnt affected by low snow.

This is kind of a "dilemma" (did I spell that right? :busted: ) I've had lately, too. I really can't afford to drive to the ends of the earth to ride, at today's diesel prices. ;) Have been wanting somewhere "non-Track" to ride that's reasonably close. How late is Morrow County open?

I thought the TSF was open year round, but the snow thing kinda slowed it down some??? :busted:

I realize it's "Track", but there is Clark County Indoor coming up at the end of the month. It's nice & dry, and I always feel good & beat up after I'm through riding there. :lol: Kinda the same with the Hangover Scrambles coming up in just over a month.....

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober
left out a preposition, & spelled "dilemma" wrong....

PLENTY of riding last year in the TSF!QUOTE]

I always thought TSF closed in November?

Jones Creek in Camas is closed Dec-May.

Might be a little far but I went to Mabton last Sunday and had a gas. Groomed sand track. 17 miles east of Yakima.

Might be a little far but I went to Mabton last Sunday and had a gas. Groomed sand track. 17 miles east of Yakima.

How was the track? I've been wanting to get up there...

Thanks for the input.

Hey Jimmie, do they allow exotic 2-strokes at Clark Co? :busted:

I would actually like to try the indoor track this winter. I think it would be a great chance to keep up the skills and a good excuse to not have to drain the fuel out of my bike! Maybe you can show me the ropes on the track!

Your not kidding about driving a diesel with trailer for long stretches, very spendy. Morrow is open year round, but a very long drive. When they get snow, they run snow machines out there. That would be a hoot!

TSF is open year round, and I have ridden it during winter months. It is pretty good if the snow level doesnt get too low. The real low stuff is just more quad oriented. If snow doesnt get too low this year, I will certianly hit it.

Maybe I will just try to save up to do a one a month trip. Belfair and Central Oregon would be worth it to me.

How was the track? I've been wanting to get up there...

TommyB

The Mabton track was very fun. All sand. Lots of table tops, a section of small jumps that could be doubled if you want. They ran the short version. "only" one mile long. The full track is over two miles long. Only about 20 guys there and only half at most on the track at any one time. Randy Dillman grooms and waters before every Sunday when he is open. He posts a schedule on his website. Mabton MX. It was worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to me. Especially when it was cold and wet on the west side. It was windy in the Yakima area but track is in a little bowl which seemed to block most of it. Parking lot a little dusty. No concessions. Only one sani can. I am looking to go Sunday after Thanksgiving if I can. I don't think you would be disappointed if you go. :busted:

From the couve, I may hit somebodys stash north of here next week, dualsport some local goods from my house after the two week warriors are done. I rode the local ds stuff last january and hit it in the mid 60's one day.

TommyB

The Mabton track was very fun. All sand. Lots of table tops, a section of small jumps that could be doubled if you want. They ran the short version. "only" one mile long. The full track is over two miles long. Only about 20 guys there and only half at most on the track at any one time. Randy Dillman grooms and waters before every Sunday when he is open. He posts a schedule on his website. Mabton MX. It was worth the 3 1/2 hour drive to me. Especially when it was cold and wet on the west side. It was windy in the Yakima area but track is in a little bowl which seemed to block most of it. Parking lot a little dusty. No concessions. Only one sani can. I am looking to go Sunday after Thanksgiving if I can. I don't think you would be disappointed if you go. :busted:

Are you somewhat near the PDX area and heading out there? If you've got room and want some help on gas I'd be willing to chip in to ride a new MX track.