Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM sxf 450

I just recently bought a KTM 450 sxf ... Thought I would write down all the good bad and otherwise...

Spoke wrench is a piece...don't use it unless you want to strip spokes and replace them. BUY A GOOD SPOKE WRENTCH...OR USE ONE FROM A DIFFERENT BIKE YOU MAY HAVE.

Battery had to be charged and was really weak when I took my bike home. I had to drive back to the dealer and buy a trickle charger and charge the battery all night so I could ride the next day...BUY A TRICKLE CHARGER WHEN YOU BUY THIS BIKE.

The right sided heat shield that is black and also protects the frame....poked a hole right into my brand new Alpinestars after a few small jumps...really pissed off about that....CHECK HEAT SHIELD....TRY TO ZIP TIE ANY PART OF THE HEAT SHIELD CLOSER TO THE BIKE AND AWAY FROM YOUR BOOT!....my 450 dollar boots have a dime size hole that's only going to get worse.

I'm pretty stoked on the bike...don't get me wrong...this is just new bike issues that I'd hate to see other people go through...

I have had some good rides on my KTM....and so far I'm pretty happy with how this bike performed.

The skid plate offered by KTM is a piece...it has to be completely removed to access the two drain plugs underneath the bike...AND it offers no side protection to the cases...still trying to find a company that has a good skid plate. My new KX 250f comes with one standard...and KTM should get with the program on that...as much as they sell for...should come WITH A SKIDPLATE...

I'm not finished with my findings and will be reporting and updating as I go...

All comments and suggestions welcome:)

DP

Okay...I figured out what exactly happened to my boots...the heat shield that runs parallel to the pipe by the mid boot area...the shield has vents...the vents act like a cheese grader and while rubbing backward causes no problem...when your boots (Alpinestars tech 8's specifically) rub forward...the vents start slicing plastic off your boots...and in no time will put a hole in your boots! KTM should of figured this out right away...as 90 percent of riders wear Alpinestars...

I don't know what I should do at this point...I will talk with the dealer where I bought both the bike and boots from...see if I can exchange my boots...or at least have them repaired....I've only had both for one month. I've had Alpinestars before and they lasted for years untill I sold all my stuff...never had anything like this happen before with Alpinestars....totally bummed out on that! I'm medically retired from the Marine Corps and this was a huge investment for me...

DP

My bud has a 2012 450 SXF like a month and a half ago.. He loves it.. He woulda bought a 450XC but they don't make one..

Thanks guys...checking into the skid plates...the site doesn't have a picture available for my bike though...will have to call them I guess...

The KTM seems to handle well...good power...I'm getting used to it...and am starting to feel it could use a little more power down low...or pull through the gears more.

The clutch...it has a great feel...but when I put the bike in gear it starts crawling forward to where I have to put the brakes on...NCY suggests I tie the clutch lever to the bar...lean the bike at a 45 degree angle and let sit overnight...I tried that...I think it worked for the morning ride...but now it does it again....since the self adjuster on the lever doesn't seem to have any effect either...I could use some help figuring this out....

DP

The skidplate for 11 will fit, it Will get better with time in regards to creeping forward ,shifting will get brtter,go to a 53 tooth rear,add hs jet kit with the lean needle,you will be smiling

Ah kool...thanks so much...first time KTM owner...so I'm eager to know all I can about my new bike:)

Rode Honda's and Yamaha's in the 80's and 90's...one Huskey that was a team bike and ridden into the ground...spent entirely too much money on that 84 husky 500 cross country desert bike...never again!...have been stoked on Yamaha's reliability in the past...so I'm concerned about the KTM a little...only time will tell how it holds up. It rides really well though...and its been a easy bike to get used to:)

DP

Nice..I was in Lima in boot then onto kilo 3/9 sta platoon..

90-98:thumbsup: 01-04

"LET ME SEE YOUR WAR FACE!":smirk:

Bad ass bike dude! Like that skid plate too...Nice! Gotta figure out how to post pictures of my bike n here....KTMs are bitchen...

DP

That plate is a Devol on that bike pictured , my friend has a 11 450SXF and has the same skid plate , but access to the oil drain still requires removal , but at least it protects the sides a bit , my Friend uses Sidi Crossfires ($500+ boots) size 13 but has had no rubbing issues , and he is 6'6" so he is all over the place on that bike , but he also recently switched exhausts , first to a Dr-D and now a Pro Circuit , the aftermarket pipes (specifically the Dr-D and Pro Circuit) bring out the bottom end punch it is lacking stock , you can easily loop his bike out if your not careful now , but never had rubbing issues with any of them , he is as mentioned by others , geared 14/53 , the bike never stops pulling , he did have the suspension re-valved as it comes stock it would make a excellent off-road bike , the suspension will blow thru the stroke once you start riding it fast/hard/aggressive on a MX track , and definitely will not support a 260+ rider , but felt great with me on it at 210 when he first got it

Ah kool...thanks so much...first time KTM owner...so I'm eager to know all I can about my new bike:)

Rode Honda's and Yamaha's in the 80's and 90's...one Huskey that was a team bike and ridden into the ground...spent entirely too much money on that 84 husky 500 cross country desert bike...never again!...have been stoked on Yamaha's reliability in the past...so I'm concerned about the KTM a little...only time will tell how it holds up. It rides really well though...and its been a easy bike to get used to:)

DP

Been on hondas since 87,in 10 went and got a practice and a race 11. 450 sxf,very glad i did

That plate is a Devol on that bike pictured , my friend has a 11 450SXF and has the same skid plate , but access to the oil drain still requires removal , but at least it protects the sides a bit , my Friend uses Sidi Crossfires ($500+ boots) size 13 but has had no rubbing issues , and he is 6'6" so he is all over the place on that bike , but he also recently switched exhausts , first to a Dr-D and now a Pro Circuit , the aftermarket pipes (specifically the Dr-D and Pro Circuit) bring out the bottom end punch it is lacking stock , you can easily loop his bike out if your not careful now , but never had rubbing issues with any of them , he is as mentioned by others , geared 14/53 , the bike never stops pulling , he did have the suspension re-valved as it comes stock it would make a excellent off-road bike , the suspension will blow thru the stroke once you start riding it fast/hard/aggressive on a MX track , and definitely will not support a 260+ rider , but felt great with me on it at 210 when he first got it

Thanks JimDirt...lots of good and useful scoop:thumbsup: