Sign in to follow this  

'12 500 EXC Smoking at 10 hrs

As happy as I am with my new 500 EXC, the first start of the day now produces smoke (from oil). The rest of the day is smokeless but it did not produce any smoke until around 8 hours.

I changed the original break in oil at 5.4 hrs. and now have about 13 hrs. on the bike. No noticable use of oil at this point.

I was hoping that this bike would run 150 hours before having to do the top end. I guess we will see what happens.

If the top end needs attention, I will probably just do it myself because I have had nothing but bad experiences with So Cal dealer warranty work. The only shops that I would trust to work on one of my bikes is Javier at Trail Tricks and Travis at Thumper Racing, neither of whom that can do warranty work.

The first startup smoking is definitely increasing. Swell.

Hey bobc1, I to feel your pain mine started smoking on the third ride before the injector filter plugged.Got that figured out and got it home and changed oil for 2nd time and noticed bike smoking quite a bit.Not happy took back to dealer and they did leak down test that showed fine.This is all with 1 week from warranty expiring.Ktm said to keep riding it thinking maybe rings have not seated in.I have now rode 200 more miles on it and still smokes at startup.Going to let dealer know tomorrow that something needs to be done about this.Keep me posted if you find anyting out.Ill do the same.

typically one wud suspect the valve guides if it only smokes on startup.

:busted:

Another poster on the "other Orange Bike website" mentioned the possibility of oil entering the intake from the engine/trans breather. I believe that KTM64 had the right idea as to where the oil is coming from.

The only engine/trans breather runs from the valve cover to the air filter box between the filter element and the throttle body. The breather hose has a low spot before it enters the air filter box.

Before I started the bike today, I disconnected the breather hose from the air filter box and drained the low spot in the hose. A few drops of engine oil had collected in the low spot overnight. Also, the lower portion of the air filter box inside of the filter element had some engine oil collected in it (from the breather hose).

I wiped out the filter box and left the breather hose disconnected. When I started the bike this time, virtually no smoke. I believe that the smoke is from the small amount of engine oil that condenses after the bike sits and cools. On the first start of the day, it is sucked into the throttle body and produces smoke.

Now, what is the solution? Rather than reroute the engine/trans breather, I am going to leave it as is and monitor the situation. If the only smoke is a couple of puffs after the first start of the day, I plan to ignore it. If it gets worse, I may do something different.

I am fairly well convinced that the problem is not valve guide seals/rings related.

Im also having smoking issue,I tried the disconect of breather hose and wiped out airbox of oil.Still no luck with mine,anyone else having these problems.Dealer said ktm said to keep riding it, but I feel this is not right and they should be fixing it.

Another poster on the "other Orange Bike website" mentioned the possibility of oil entering the intake from the engine/trans breather. I believe that KTM64 had the right idea as to where the oil is coming from.

The only engine/trans breather runs from the valve cover to the air filter box between the filter element and the throttle body. The breather hose has a low spot before it enters the air filter box.

Before I started the bike today, I disconnected the breather hose from the air filter box and drained the low spot in the hose. A few drops of engine oil had collected in the low spot overnight. Also, the lower portion of the air filter box inside of the filter element had some engine oil collected in it (from the breather hose).

I wiped out the filter box and left the breather hose disconnected. When I started the bike this time, virtually no smoke. I believe that the smoke is from the small amount of engine oil that condenses after the bike sits and cools. On the first start of the day, it is sucked into the throttle body and produces smoke.

Now, what is the solution? Rather than reroute the engine/trans breather, I am going to leave it as is and monitor the situation. If the only smoke is a couple of puffs after the first start of the day, I plan to ignore it. If it gets worse, I may do something different.

I am fairly well convinced that the problem is not valve guide seals/rings related.

is ur breather connected to the carb or airbox???

i don't see how u wud have "the lower portion of the air filter box inside of the filter element had some engine oil collected in it"...

...while overall the breather hose is under a negative pressure it's really more of a "push-pull".

a few puffs of smoke at startup isn't all that unusual...if it last into warm up that's different.

many times(myself included) if there's a little smoke on startup it's usally due to adding a little extra oil....probably more than needed. :banghead:

ride'n and keep'n a eye on it is the right plan. :lol:

:)

Connected to airbox beens its fuel injection,mine is also more then a few puffs of smoke.It smokes really bad and you can smell it burning oil.Talked to dealer today and going to tear into it and see whats going on.Will keep posted on what we find.

Update on my '12 500 EXC. 24.7 hrs, running Two2Cool Extreme 10W-40 oil since 5 hrs.

Smoking issue after first start of the day has disappeared. No smoke now.

Valves were right in the middle of spec's and leakdown is 5%, rings.

So far, a great motor/bike.

I have the same problem with my 2013 500exc. Has anyone found a cure for this yet? I have started mine with the air filter removed and crankcase breather disconnected. Still smoking. I also believe this is valve stem seals.

My 2012 500 EXC had become a heavy smoker after only seven hours.. It only smoked at startup and once warm no mo smoke. Checked the crankcase puke tube connected to the air box and no sign of any oil.. Went for about a 30 mile ride just after changing the oil and filter and when I got home the oil level was at the bottom of the window. So apparently even though it stopped smoking after warmed up it was still burning it. I was thinking either valve guide seals or rings.. Dropped it off at 3bros racing in Orange County CA and received a call back that the leak down test was 17%, not good! Problem was rings were not only collapsed but also stuck in ring groves. Also there was piston wear on the skirts that they didn’t like so that got replaced also. I asked to see the piston to see what kind of carbon build up there was if any in the ring groves and there was none, just a little black on top like a fat running two stroke. No definite cause was given for the rings to do this other than a bad batch of rings. Oh, and I had never over heated the engine.

KTM covered all the repairs and I’ve had smoke since.

So I would suggest those of you that are having smoking issues keep an eye on your oil level and get a leak down test performed on your bike.