Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a XR250, how does it compare to a KLR650?

Yesterday I purchased a 2003 XR250 and I'm curious how it compares in (HP)power and top speed to a KLR650 of the same year (give or take). I'm not planning to go racing but the XR250 just seems very lively and perhaps quicker than the klr, not that the KLR is known for it's speed.

I never considered buying the XR250 but I'm pleasantly surprised, it's loud and seems fast(for a 250) of course the last 4 stroke 250 that I had ridden was an early 80's DR250 and it wasn't very fast but it was reliable.

Any weak points that should be addressed?

Thanks,

Tom

I've only chased a plated KLX650 (not KLR650) down a highway on my street bike. After we hit 90 mph, I decided that was enough and backed off and watched him pull away. I'm not sure you'll break 75 mph going down a steep hill on the XR250R.

I've ridden the XR250R and it's a great bike. Very nimble on tight trails. On steep hills or deep sand, you will want more HP. That is why Honda made the XR400, XR600, an XR650R.

If the bike is really loud, think making it quieter, so you don't get dirt bikes banned in your area.

Almost everything for the XR400 in Gordon's mod' and the XR400 FAQ applies to the XR250. The exceptions are jetting specs and the forks don't have as many dampening adjustments. Search around this forum and you'll find lots of info.

Something about XR's that no other company IMO was ever able to duplicate, can't really explain it. XRs you either love them or hate them, people in the middle are just confused. Is 650 a typo? weight, displacement, air vs. h2o, green vs. red....

I will give an affidavit:

XR250L can hit 95+ stock 13/40. In '94/'95 I weighed a buck sixty, crouched as tight as possible going down a grade on the 101 freeway (did it many times to get to work). Needle pointed straight down, motor was absolutely screaming, solid no wobbles but scary fun. Same motor no rebuild yet and it will do about 70 on flat fire roads (might take a mile or so but it will get there screaming all the way). Now I'm 205 naked, a few bike mods, 13/46 on knobbies.

XR250 L or R <95mph?

yes, sure

falling from an airplane

Tom, how do you compare plums and pumkins?

edit: oh, I see

CA converted to metric and you meant 95Km/h, right?

My XL250 would do 90 no problem. Took a while to get up to speed though. Gears tall enough to hold about 85 on long flats

My XR250 with a 280 kit would get to 85 real easy but would run out of gears and was really spinning, I never really ran it past 55 for any distance.

A big KLR would run all day at 85 with the right gearing. Not as much fun in the tight singletrack as a xr250.

XR250 L or R <95mph?

yes, sure

falling from an airplane

x 2 :lol:

I had my old XL100 up to 100mph too... In the back of a pick-up... :busted:

This thread must be a joke. :busted:

:bonk:

XR250 L or R <95mph?

yes, sure

falling from an airplane

I agree the two are very different bikes but my questions is/was rather specific, what is the HP and top speed of both.

I did a bit or research and it looks like the XR250R should be about 21hp and the KLR is 38. I had a KLR for a year or two and the top speed was about 85 maybe 90 on a good day(if I remember correctly).

XR250 L or R <95mph?

yes, sure

falling from an airplane

Got a kick from the sarcasm, the truck one got a chuckle too. 95 km/h is only 55 so your thinking R with the shorter 4th-6th and 48 rear. Seriously though it would do 75mph (maybe all the time stock off the show room floor. I am not saying it was an arm ripper. 95+ took some time to get there but it did, I was always amazed the motor didn't explode. I am gonna try this weekend, put the 13/40 sprockets back on and wind that little motor out and see what I get.

Seriously though it would do 75mph

82 XL250S bone stock 115Km/h

98 XR250R 14/52 110Km/h

93 XR250L stock 75mph

88 RX200 stock 138Km/h

all according to speedo, on level ground no headwind but some run

did put some miles on an 05 KLR but have no idea what top speed would have been, what difference does it make? it is beyond loosing your lisence

definitely faster than an XR250

definitely has more 'stamina' than any XR250

has more flab, too

if you need speed, get a 'busa

MY $.02...About the only thing shared by the two bikes is that they are both motorcycles. Otherwise, apples and oranges. The XR is a great trailbike, weighs about 260 wet, top speed stock about 75, very good both on and off road. The KLR is an on/off road bike, weighs about 450 wet, top speed about 90, OK on the highway, not so good for trail riding. I have had several 250s, the fastest one was a '96 280, Mikuni carb, 15/48 gearing, would hit 85 on a good day.

To the OP, the 250 probably seems so much livelier just because of the weight difference. The XR250 makes decent low-end and while it isn't a "light" bike it is lighter than the KLR.

I've heard similar claims of 90+ on a stock XR250L. Let me tell you it IS mathematically possible. That is the stock gearing is set up for about 90mph at red line. However having the conditions available to actually get the anemic stock bike up to that speed is another thing. My buddy in college (who must have been about 130# soaking wet) said he had his L up to 90 on a long stretch of pavement with a slight downhill. Must have been a real long stretch.

I never had the space to get my Stock 250L or modified 280L up over ~79mph verified by GPS, there just aren't any good straights around here to test above that.

My 86 does 70 mph easy with 12/50. Only has a supertrapp to do that. I have no idea what the rpm might be but the motor handles it easy. I can see it getting 85/90 with a 40 tooth and a loooooong, flat smooth road. Hell I built an SL100 that would do 92, a 250 should make it without too much work. Top speed is pretty much just a HP/wind resistance thing, displacement is less a factor than the hp peak delivered at the right ground speed.

I don't even know how you can compare the two. KLRs (gay-lr's) are for keeping the gimbles off real bikes.

I got my 14/40t 87 XR280 w/ TM34 up to 93MPH according to GPS. that was full tuck with D606s and a lot of time with the throttle pinned. Had my 2001 with stock carb to 85MPH, 15/45 gearing. If you hide behind the handlebars you gain about 5MPH.

my xr250 actually felt faster off the line than a KLR until about ~40mph or so (rode a stock 2008 KLR650). they are sooooo heavy its ridiculous

a better comparison would be an XR650R or L.

Oh c'mon, he knows what his bike will do! we dont. my 86 xr250 gets to 60 on the dirt pretty darn fast with alot left!

so getting to 95, yeah i think its poss. realistically? idunno...

i just know what mine does.

run it, ride it, have fun. you can only go so fast on the dirt anywhoo.

Not talking bout fire roads either.