Sign in to follow this  

New crank new cylinder

So I'm too lazy to search so pulLeeeezE forgive me in advance. Need some quick opinions from my TT 450R brethren....1.) My 2007 450R needs a crank....OEM or Hot Rods? I'm leaning towards OEM...2.) My 2007 450R needs a new cylinder....should I send out for re-plate, buy new OEM, or buy a Cylinder Works 488 kit? Help a brutha out. Thanks!:busted::busted:

Oem crankshaft,if you look around you can probably find one for the same or less than a Hot Rod,Oem cylinder also for the cost of a replate you can have a brand new one.also if you choose to go used any 02 to 08 CRF450R cyl. is the same. I have had the Athena 488 kit,and for reliability reasons I would not do it again,mine and several of my friends had the pistons crack side to side across the dome,they changed the forging then changed it back and we still had failures albeit soft failures,they would not blow up just pressurize the oil and blow it onto the inside of the airfilter till it stopped running.cheers

Not true. 02/03 cylinders are different than 04/08 and are prefered.

Rocksalt with all due respect they are the same, I have had them sitting side by side and they are identical,I have read some of your previous post and I think you confuse the 250 with the 450 the early 250's have a different oil squiter location in the case and the cut away on the cylinder differs on those,this is not the case on the 02 to 08 450's.cheers

i would go with a new oem crank. i have a aftermarket in mine and if i could i would go back. the aftermarket i have has no timing marks therefor i have to do it the p.i.t.a way. you can rarely go wrong with all oem. stick it with your same year to. you grab an oem brand new cylinder for your year with oem piston and rings and guess what. no worries about gaping your rings and or any other problems. oem crank and rod with bearings as well. the oem cylinder is much cheaper than an athena big bore kit and MUCH more reliable to my knowledge. i hear of a ton of people having problems with their big bore kits and certain cranks. dont risk it when it comes to quality engine parts. stick with the oem and you can have peace of mind :busted:

ive had extremely good luck with HR cranks, just make sure you soak them in an oil bath before install, as for cylinders, id go new oem

Very good replys, guys! Thanks a bunch! I'm biased towards OEM parts when it comes to Hondas especially. Looks like it'll be a new OEM crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, and new OEM cylinder with OEM piston, rings, pin, clips, and gaskets then. FWIW I had a Hot Rods crank in my 450X (since I couldn't find an OEM when I needed it) and it was every but as good as OEM IMHO...

New OEM Crank $225

New OEM Cylinder $238

New B gaskets, main bearings, seals $160

New A gaskets, piston, rings, pin, clips $180

All OEM. Grand total in parts (so far) $803

Now the work starts

Edited by cubera