Sign in to follow this  

cr250?

I got a job and my interests straightened out and want a bike to ride. I used to ride my buddy's bike about 4 years ago and my cousins 2 years ago. I am 16 and 175lbs. I've been looking at cr 250s. Can anyone give me some advice? I want a bike for trail riding and jumps. I've been looking at craigslist and don't know all the sizes and everything. I like the suzukis and yamahas but I need a bike for around 12-1400 max.

Thanks

well any 250 moto bike would be a pretty good beginner bike, around here you can find 98-02 for about 1500. you should also not limit the possibilities. look for any good used clean low hour bike.

+1:thumbsup: When you budget is limited sometimes brand is less important than condition of the bike. I like the 2000 2001 CR's and 2000 through newest you can afford YZ. I don't know enough about the KX and RM to comment.

I would look for the best deal on a bike. Me personally I like honda's my 1998 Cr250r was a great bike, I would totally recommend that bike for trail riding.

I got a 97 cr250 an with a few lil parts they will do any thing u need. also I think the 97-99 cr250s have the best motors asfar as the cr's go. yz's are pretty good as wel

I think the 97 through 99 frame wasn't quite as good as the 2000 and 01. The 02 had a much better frame still but they ruined the motor in my opinion. So for me the 01 was the best compromise for a Cr250. At least of the aluminum frame bikes.

I completely agree about finding the best bike for the money. However, I dont think a 250 MX bike is a good beginner bike...especially for someone 16 years old who hasnt ridden in years. The CR has an aggressive powerband...designed for motocross racing..it will put you on your A$$ in a second if you are not careful. Your choices are somewhat limited at that price range, but I would probably look for a XR250/400 for trail riding. They are bulletproof reliable and low maintenance (low cost) to operate. If you get tired of the XR, you can sell and upgrade with minimal expense. Granted, it will be heavier and slower than the CR250...its also a hell of alot less likely to land you in the ER. If you are a good rider wanting more than a XR has to offer, you might look for a Kawasaki KDX 200...you should be able to pick up a reliable KDX for your price range. A KDX is a trail specific 2 stroke. They are lighter and quicker than the XR, but more tame than a CR. For the record, I owned both a XR400 and a KDX 220 (similar to the 200) in the last 2 years.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check out a powersports shop down the road before I buy anything. this may be a stupid question but whats the difference between an 01 RM-125 and a 98 CR250?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check out a powersports shop down the road before I buy anything. this may be a stupid question but whats the difference between an 01 RM-125 and a 98 CR250?

125 cc and three years :busted:

Seriously a 125 is a good beginner bike. You will find it forces you to learn to ride. Many people say they suck for trail riding and to some degree they do. You can do just about anything on them you just have to work harder and carry more speed. This is like forced training. If I were in the market for an inexpensive 125 I would buy a YZ125 as new as you can afford. The YZ has the best low end power of the 125's I have ridden. The KDX200 is a good trail bike as mentioned but for jumping it will suck. Another guy mentioned the 250 putting you on your head. That can be true but kind of depends on where you ride. If you ride really wide fast desert roads it won't feel like too much bike but once things get a little tighter you might find they are a lot of bike for a new rider. Good Luck

See that's what i thought but i wasn't sure. didn't know if there was anything special Thanks