Scary

Heading down to the store the bike shut off at about 40 mph. I forgot to turn the fuel on and was looking for the switch when it turned off, pitch black down a hill with a corner coming up and trees on either side. I had a post a while ago about wiring the headlight to work when the bikes off, Im definitely going to figure something out maybe some aux lights with a separate switch to the battery. Its pretty scary when the world goes black on you at speed.

Yeah it must have been VERY nerve racking!! I too have wondered IF there is something we could do on our older kick only bikes to have some kind of light ON when it's not running. I have a key switch wired in but since there is no starter or REAL battery on it.........if it cuts out in the dark you are actually "in the dark" going down the road. Don't know about federal regs, my bike is taged, but it's NOT lit unless the bike is running:bonk:

Yeah it must have been VERY nerve racking!! I too have wondered IF there is something we could do on our older kick only bikes to have some kind of light ON when it's not running. I have a key switch wired in but since there is no starter or REAL battery on it.........if it cuts out in the dark you are actually "in the dark" going down the road. Don't know about federal regs, my bike is taged, but it's NOT lit unless the bike is running:bonk:

Being in Alaska you probably know what im talking about. We dont have street lights for about 60 miles to the west 80 miles to the north and 40 miles to the south. It gets dark real quick when your lights go out. Im still looking and havent found anything under $250 so far. Let me know if you have any ideas Jeff.

Our 600s come with a battery and a small running light that sits in the headlight and is lit with the key on and headlight switch in the first position it utilizes ,,Main headlight doesn't come on until the engines running and you throw the main light switch up another notch,,Here's a wiring diagram of the XL/400/500 in which I've circled the running light. , That light in itself wouldn't be bright enough to really light the road but is good enough in pitch black conditions ,You'd need to mount some other type on your bike if you needed more light,,Anyway,, it'd be wired in like this diagram..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/56alt.jpg/

This diagram belows of an XL600 that doesn't have that feature so you can compare the wiring diagram above to it should you want to do the job..,, XL400/500/600 are wired pretty much the same..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/fullxl.jpg/

Copy both those images and save them to your Computer for future reference,,Open with Firefox or whatever browser you use for the proper left mouse click blow up image view....

Edited by Horri

My mainly stock 86 XL600 does..(Black one I posted an image of last week) ,.the other half breed XR500/XL600,, not that I've noticed, but it isn't completely standard in the lights that are on it,,ie,, I've bodged bits together from different models for lights..

Go to section 18 in your Honda factory XL600R manual. In the US, the lights should turn on as soon as the key is turned on. This is how they are wired from the factory. They turn off when the key is turned back off. They run off the battery.

This is required by DOT so the lights stay on if the bike stalls. :busted:

The bike runs off the stator so it will run without a battery.

You have an electricial problem. Use the factory manual to diagnois and fix the problem...

:busted:

Go to section 18 in your Honda factory XL600R manual. In the US, the lights should turn on as soon as the key is turned on. This is how they are wired from the factory. They turn off when the key is turned back off. They run off the battery.

This is required by DOT so the lights stay on if the bike stalls. :busted:

The bike runs off the stator so it will run without a battery.

You have an electricial problem. Use the factory manual to diagnois and fix the problem...

:busted:

Not the case, the headlight runs right off the stator.