Stock suspension

I just had my new suspension done up while im injured. The stock fork springs are supposed to be 4.4 NM or .45kgf and with my weight ability etc i need 4.6NM or .47kgf just like I had last year. The weird thing is my suspension guy said the bike came with 4.6NM or .47kgf fork springs he tested or measured them. I questioned him again an said hes seen this before. He does pretty damn good work so im obviously going to believe him. Any thoughts??? Im stumped? Bikes a 2011 crf250

I guess the real way to know for sure is to ride it and feel the difference. If it wasn't re-valved and it was just a spring replacement, you would pretty much know. The type of oil used and the amount of oil will also make a drastic difference in the performance of the suspension. This is now where the trust factor comes in.

How much do you weigh? What type riding do you do? Did you buy the bike new?

How much do you weigh? What type riding do you do? Did you buy the bike new?

Im 170 lbs, race motocross, race at a B level. Yes brand new

I guess the real way to know for sure is to ride it and feel the difference. If it wasn't re-valved and it was just a spring replacement, you would pretty much know. The type of oil used and the amount of oil will also make a drastic difference in the performance of the suspension. This is now where the trust factor comes in.

Ah the old trust tree eh. I got both ends revalved and your right charlie, My point is he used heavier springs last season on the same bike and then this year said it came with the heavier springs. seems fishy to me, But your right i gotta ride it and he will fix it for me if need be. Im just wondering if anyone heard of a bike coming with stiffer than normal spring rates.

Edited by MxPro83

Make you wonder how many people check that stuff? Maybe it's pot luck!

My kid is 140lbs fully geared, so regardless, I have to chenge them and I've never checked the stock springs. They don't use factory springs that light on a big bike, but I could have been wrong this whole time.

Now this makes me wonder if there's a number on the VIN that might identify what was used. Hmmmm?

Now this makes me wonder if there's a number on the VIN that might identify what was used. Hmmmm?

Negative on the VIN. Its tested with a testing device or even markings on the spring, regardless i said i wanted new springs up front. he said the ones in there were the right spring rate. I know not every spring will be perfect but he told me he always checks the springs first because he says hes seen them wrong and its somewhat common its not exactly what they are supposed to be. I guess you can never assume things. And hes pretty damn good at what he does. I guess just a heads up!

Unless you're a fly on the wall in the assembly plant, you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

2011 honda crf250 comes with 46 springs in the fork

2011 honda crf250 comes with 46 springs in the fork

paulie, are you talking about NM or KGF. Stock 2011 comes with 4.4NM/mm or .45KGF/mm fork springs! The next stiffer spring rate is 4.6NM/mm or .47KGF/mm