Sign in to follow this  

Trail Riding

Should I buy an MX bike to trail ride with? If so, why? or if not, why?

Yep just do it!! Lighter/ snappier more fun and more power. You can always tame a mx down but its harder to powerup a x or w version etc. Plus its nice to have the extra power every now and then. I went from a xr250 to a crf450r and would never go back!

you could, but to make it perform well you really would have to buy an 18" rear tire and rim, a kickstand ( for convenience obviously), front and rear suspension work, and probably a flywheel weight. otherwise it is a fish out of water on trails. best to buy a bike BUILT for trails like ktm xc or xcw or huskvarna, gas gas....

Joe

Get the MX bike because when you get bored chasing turtles down fire roads you'll be all set to start flying at the motocross track. :busted:

Hey, is this sharp shooter from rdp? :busted:

I see guys on mx bikes chewing trails up bad cuz of their tall 1st gear, light flywheels, and powerbands that want to be revved. They're also really loud. Fix these things and they're fine.

you could, but to make it perform well you really would have to buy an 18" rear tire and rim, a kickstand ( for convenience obviously), front and rear suspension work, and probably a flywheel weight. otherwise it is a fish out of water on trails. best to buy a bike BUILT for trails like ktm xc or xcw or huskvarna, gas gas....

Joe

Only bad part about that is , he is in Cali , and they frown on 2 smokes , red sticker means limited riding for the year , if that is how they register 2 strokes there now , then he would be better off with a 4 stroke trail bike , at least he would be able to get a Green Sticker (depending on the brand and model)

I love my '02 CR250 on the trails. Only mods are Cycra hand guards, FMF Fatty pipe, 13/50 gearing and steel clutch plates. The clutch plates add flywheel weight. I had a 14 ounce flywheel weight with the aluminum plates and it worked great. I added the steel plates and it was too much. With just the steel plates it is just right.

If you like to mod/customize your bikes, then an MX isn't a bad idea. I'm in the process of turning a YZ250 in to a pure trail beast... but it really likes to go fast. Fortunately, there are lots of dudes on this forum will all kinds of helpful tricks and tips to making these faster bikes redistribute power better and make them less punishing to the trail, and you. Things like flywheel weights (big ones), Gnarly pipes, and those things will change the racing characteristics into trail attributes. Lot of guys on here ride strictly trails/enduro on MX bikes. Also, all of the "trail parts" are made for MX bikes too nowadays.

If you just want to ride trails and forget about it, then go with a trail bike. Ready to go, give or take a set of bars and tires.

in my experience a bike build for the bush is faster and alot less tireing/easier to ride and especially for tight trails and single track a trail bike gearbox is much better

Only bad part about that is , he is in Cali , and they frown on 2 smokes , red sticker means limited riding for the year , if that is how they register 2 strokes there now , then he would be better off with a 4 stroke trail bike , at least he would be able to get a Green Sticker (depending on the brand and model)

I never said 2 strokes......KTM for instance makes several offroad 4 stroke xc and xcw model offroad purpose bikes.:busted:

Joe

If you like to go fast...yes.

If you are old and/or slow.....no.

WRONG.....there is a reason professional offroad racers do not generally use MX bikes ( and i would say they go juuuuust a bit faaaast :busted:)

Joe

WRONG.....there is a reason professional offroad racers do not generally use MX bikes ( and i would say they go juuuuust a bit faaaast :busted:)

Joe

Tell that to Ricky Dietrick, Destry Abbott and Justin Soule all riding Kawasaki MX bikes.

8b3233ee-1237-49e3-a808-a337a9667415.jpg

And Kurt Caselli on a KTM 450 SX-F :busted:

66018_451660413698_628543698_5127637_1003146_n.jpg

Tell that to Ricky Dietrick, Destry Abbott and Justin Soule all riding Kawasaki MX bikes.

8b3233ee-1237-49e3-a808-a337a9667415.jpg

And Kurt Caselli on a KTM 450 SX-F :busted:

66018_451660413698_628543698_5127637_1003146_n.jpg

That's what Im saying.....if you look at GNCC's,WORCS races etc...even desert races besides CRFX's maybe almost everyone is on an MX bike. Bumping over logs,big rocks and obstacles? Look at endurocross....MX bikes again.

That low first gear is useless when you are hauling at race speeds....suspension on trail bikes is usually inferior....and the weight.

Stock for stock its easier to go fast on an MX bike...I dont care what the terrain is.

I learned this the hard way myself...........$6K slow overweight turd of a lesson.

There's no right or wrong answer, it's a personal preference thing IMO. I've always ridden MX bikes and I'm used to them. My CR has a forest approved silencer (it's quiet enough to pass sound check at ISDE's), UHD tubes, rad, skid and hand guards, 3.2 gallon tank, 1 tooth lower rear sprocket, Rekluse Pro-Z clutch and suspension revalve.

I'm still running a 19" rear and I'm 225ish w/o gear, and we ride plenty of rocks/roots. The 18" is preferred but not mandatory.

It is possible to be a momentum rider who runs a gear tall, carries speed through corners and doesn't explode out of corners on an MX bike.

There is a reason they make trail bikes. for trails! and they male mx bikes for motocross. i say get a ktm 250 xc its your best mix if you plan on jumping on the track somtimes.

i bought a 2010 450 sxf a coulple months ago and set it up for trail riding geared it down skid plate, 18 wheel and hand gaurds so far its been a great bike light and fast im going to have the suspenion revalved in the spring. i put 500 miles on in two months alot of that was really tight woods riding

if you are going to be riding trails get a bike built for it like the crf450x, the gearing is way better for riding in the woods and the lights make you more visible to oncoming traffic. another big thing with these bikes is the electric start, being stopped on a rutted out hill can make it impossible to kick over a bike esp the 4 strokes. having the button to get you started again is a huge advantage. also the race build off road bikes are just as fast as mx bikes just with a different power band that is more suitable for everywhere but the mx track. and i know with the x if you want the rip your arm out of your shoulder powerband (which can be alot of fun in some places) its easy to swap the cam to an R cam. I have ridden both mx bikes and off road bikes in just about all conditions. if you want to primarily ride trails get a bike built for that. the crf x'x are a huge step up from the old xr's. back when it was the 2 stroke mx bike vs the xr i would have said the mx bike. but now the off road bikes are the way to go.