KLX300 Shift Star

Ive been having some real issues with my shift star, so i decided it was time to replace it. I actually found one of the modified star gears on ebay. Apparently the seller doesnt know what it is, because he says it is oem. I emailed the seller asking if it included the dowel, but he said it did not. My question is if the dowel is necessary, and if so could i by chance make one or buy one. If i could get dimensions of one i could easily make one.

The dowel is needed to index the star. Make sure the star is not from a 250. its not the same. For $25 I will machine your star it includes the spring sleeve. Many happy tter's. See the FAQ sticky page 2 on top of klx page for more info. PM me if your interested. Go green

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887540&highlight=shift+star

That sounds awesome, i will definetly pm you sometime soon. i am going riding this weekend, and then i might tear it down. Do you also know anything about where i could get the upgraded idler gear. Thanks for the help

That sounds awesome, i will definetly pm you sometime soon. i am going riding this weekend, and then i might tear it down. Do you also know anything about where i could get the upgraded idler gear. Thanks for the help

Kawi is the only one now making the idler gear. Just check it for wobble on the shaft each time you check the valves.

Ride on

Brewster

Sorry, i got a lot of questions, just trying to work out the kinks. How hard is it to retime the ACR? or would i be better off buying an exhaust cam of one of the newer 300's. but ill be sure to check the wobble, im planning on doing the valves soon.

I believe Brewster is the only one doing the work at this time. He did mine earlier this year and I was very satisfied with the process and the outcome. The bike is much easier to kick over now.

Here's the writeup by the guy that did the first known ACR retiming:

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/acr.html

The fixture to hold the cam is the key to prevent damage to the cam shaft.

I've done it to over 110 exhaust cams.

Ride on

Brewster