Sign in to follow this  

cr250 woods gearing help

hey guys i have a cr250 ive just bought

wanting to set up the gearing for the woods

i think stock is 13 front 50 rear and found last week end i wanted more top end for the road tracks

now ive just order'd new front and rear sprokets and able to change them if need be

i have order'd a 14t front and a 50t rear

do you guys think ill have have hard accelation and a nice top end or have i gone to small and will be all top end and no accell ?

i only ride this bike in the woods never on a track

only mods done i know of is a FMF Fatty and powercore 2 pipe

witch sounds awesome mind you

witch the gearing it has now witch i believe is stock i found it breaking to much traction so im hopeing the new ratio will help it bit in a bit more as it should increase the torque

any other idea's ?

and yes i bought a new chain as well and chain lube

1 tooth in the front is equal to about 3-4 in the rear. you are esentially running something about dead nuts center between a 13/46 and 13/47. lowest ive ran is a 13/49 so far. i think you MAY find the 14 front lacking torque for woods riding. nice thing about replacing the front sprocket is you can get the steel ones from Rocky Mtn for $10

14/50 = 3.57

13/46 = 3.53

a common combo that works pretty well is a 116 link chain with a 13 and 14 front sprocket and a 51 rear. you can run the 13/51 for woods, and the 14/51 for stuff that requires a little more top end speed

what would you suggest should i get?

i still want the snap of the power and a good top speed

problem im having is the rear is just spining to much im not geting traction till im up in 4th and 5th

my mates yz125 was side by side with me all the way till 5th then i would finaly get some bite and leave him for dead

possible a rider problem ????

maybe im not siting back enough

rear tyre is about half worn

oh btw i only weigh 73kg and im 6ft 2 tall

you may have a suspension issue for the conditions you are riding. have you checked your sag? you need to give your bike a chance to hook up with a decent setup before trying to change things IMO. i had a decent traction issue that was most definitely improved upon by adjusting my high speed compression on the rear shock. this was a new track i hadnt been to before and i definitely noticed less hook up than usual.

2000 cr250 with a 13/51 will do about 63mph according to my gps (this was on saturday, but i do not remember if it was completely tapped in 5th as i wasnt doing a top speed run, but with a 51 rear im pretty sure it was just about maxxed). how fast are you trying to go? mx bikes chassis set ups are not really meant for top speed, but more so for snapping out of corners and so on for doubles and what have you with little run up.

edit: just looked at my gps, this last saturday was actually 63.2mph

Edited by mynewcr250

going to change my order and go for the 13/50

and spend some extra money on a new back tyre and geting my suspansion adjusted

I think you will find 13/50 to lowly geared for anything but a track or trail. Thats what i have on my 03 now and its great when in the tight stuff but once it opens up im topped out in no time, 110KPH on my gps flat bikies. I have a 14 i throw on when im doing a long rides from trail to trail and with that i get 120ish kph, doesnt sound like much but it makes a difference. At the end of the day its a mx bike and cruising at anything above 65-70kph is just revving the tits of it unless you gear it right up. What model cr do you ride by the way?

I think you will find 13/50 to lowly geared for anything but a track or trail. Thats what i have on my 03 now and its great when in the tight stuff but once it opens up im topped out in no time, 110KPH on my gps flat bikies. I have a 14 i throw on when im doing a long rides from trail to trail and with that i get 120ish kph, doesnt sound like much but it makes a difference. At the end of the day its a mx bike and cruising at anything above 65-70kph is just revving the tits of it unless you gear it right up. What model cr do you ride by the way?

1998 :busted:

good strong motor an a bit of a b!tch to handle gen 1 alloy frame

i like it. alot of ppl complained about them

but honestly i keep up and pass my mates an they are on new yz450f's

but they just annialate me down the straight soon as i top out

i just cant get the traction down as i said previously its side by side with my mates 125 case all im doing is spining :busted:

I'm running 13/51 on my '02 and I agree with mynewcr250. If your bike has proper motor and tire setup you should be able to get 60+mph no problem. Gearing down in the countershaft from a 14 made a huge impact on acceleration and punch. How fast do you need to go?

dont change the front sproket..yes it can be cheaper but it is not good for the bike, cant remember exactly what it does but it throws somthing off balance... only change out the back sproket

dont change the front sproket..yes it can be cheaper but it is not good for the bike, cant remember exactly what it does but it throws somthing off balance... only change out the back sproket

Don't use a 12T CS sprocket for it put undue stress on chain due to increased angle. Otherwise a 13/14 is fine.

On my 03 I run 14/48. It is very smooth in the woods. No one believes me here though. I ride rocky single track hare scrambles. It does requie some clutch work but unless you need to crawl it works great and gives it some top speed in field sections. I also added a Moose torque spacer and a keihin pwk

my problem is i liek the hard snap into band an accelration and i want a high speed

apparently it cant be done lol

looks like im going to be upgradeing again to the unforgiveing and and apparently unridable CR500 lol best of both worlds then

as long as its a 1986 modle thou as they were brutaly fast

this is why i enjoy my yz490 so much but the weight of the old girl is teh killer on my 74 kg body

my problem is i liek the hard snap into band an accelration and i want a high speed

apparently it cant be done lol

looks like im going to be upgradeing again to the unforgiveing and and apparently unridable CR500 lol best of both worlds then

as long as its a 1986 modle thou as they were brutaly fast

this is why i enjoy my yz490 so much but the weight of the old girl is teh killer on my 74 kg body

I just deal with the best snap and less clutch feathering and accept the slow top speeds. If you ever crash at high speed it hurts more. :busted:

But we don't have much area here for open top speed unless it's forest roads which are riddled with other inconsiderate users headed directly for your triple clamps.

sounds like a lugger

true...Im not a big fan of wheel spin, but I don't use a flywheel weight , I do want it to come to life with a fan of the clutch lever....

I dont understand wanting a bike that jerks your arms out of socket........I guess that is why I didnt think my 01 was so awsome as most do.....Im weird that way, the 02 up handles SO MUCH better....I will find a 06 or 07 at some point, at a price I like.....cheap : )

true...Im not a big fan of wheel spin, but I don't use a flywheel weight , I do want it to come to life with a fan of the clutch lever....

I dont understand wanting a bike that jerks your arms out of socket........I guess that is why I didnt think my 01 was so awsome as most do.....Im weird that way, the 02 up handles SO MUCH better....I will find a 06 or 07 at some point, at a price I like.....cheap : )

Yer gettin' me all giddy to ride my 2002 when the :busted: parts arrive. Had it for 2.5 mos. trying to make it run. :busted:

Maybe two more weeks.....

Try 14 / 51 or 13 / 47 gearing if you want more top speed. Also consider trying the FMF SST pipe.

FWIW, we're running 13 /48 on a 2003 CR250 and 14 / 53 on a 2002 CR250. I already had the 53 so I bought a 14t front sprocket so I could use it. 53 is way too big with a 13t front sprocket. Running FMF Gnarly pipes on both. Shorty on the '03 and Q Stealth on the '02.

I was using 14 / 51 on my 84 cr 250 with a DG pipe and a FMF turbine core silencer and I was jetted 68 / 150. I was always riding trails like the one in this link that I posted. This video is me climbing a decent hill. The camera isn't the best but you get the idea. That climb was a work out. I miss my CR...