Sign in to follow this  

drain bolt help

I have a 09 kx250f that I bought new earlier this year. I was changing the oil tonight and after the oil drained out I was inspecting the bottom of the case and I happened to notice what appeared to be a hole in the threads of the drain hole. Turned out to actually be a hole/broken threads about 1/4 of the way around the hole 3 threads up from the bottom.

I have used a high quality torque wrench for this bolt and I haven't noticed any problems (leaks) with it but apparently something has gone wrong. I replaced the drain bolt back into the drain hole after noticing the broken threads and it stayed put. I didn't see any cracks in the case. My question is...what now? Helicoil? Leave it be?

Thanks for any advice offered.

That just happened to my bike 3 weeks ago. The threads were broken. I took it to the shop bc it was out of my comfort level of wrenching and they used a Helicoil and it fixed it right up. He told me I just had to be extra careful loosening and tightening it from now on..

If there are NO threads on the right side of the hole then you may need to try and repair ..This is common where half the drain plug threads have broken off around that little whole...But if you can see threads around the little hole where the threads are..These is Normal..It's so all the oil can drain out..The top of the threads of the drain plug is higher then the bottom of the case. So they have put a little hole there to be able to drain all the oil from that area

If there are NO threads on the right side of the hole then you may need to try and repair ..This is common where half the drain plug threads have broken off around that little whole...But if you can see threads around the little hole where the threads are..These is Normal..It's so all the oil can drain out..The top of the threads of the drain plug is higher then the bottom of the case. So they have put a little hole there to be able to drain all the oil from that area

Thanks for your help.

Just to make sure I am following...the hole is normal to be there to assist with draining but there should be threads all the way to the edges of the hole? If no threads to the edges of the hole then it needs to be fixed? (I apologize in advance for my noob mechanical knowledge:smirk:)

Yes..If you look up into the drain hole you will see about three threads,then a hole on one side with threads going though the hole and about three threads above the hole...Would look like you if you had a nut and drilled a small hole side ways into it.. Sounds like your good...

heres an inside look at it. yours should not have a crack in it like mine, i took mine apart for a new case cause of the crack. it make it so i could not tighten the drain bolt enough and it would leak.

drainbolt.jpg