Sign in to follow this  

!0 Days/10 riders

Ok a few details for our riding partners in Hungary.Our 10 day single track trail ride took off Nov 5 from El Rosario,Baja Mexico.First day 4 hours in to ride (125 miles)All 9 riders are experts,but one called Moron that I called to come along OPPS.Wet dirt we all are keeping pace,Moron gets too close too me.So I speed up,and wave him back.Moron thinks Im calling him to speed up,first sharp turn.I feel someone crash in the back of me.I hear WOW crash crash crash.Lucky he is Ok but not the same as we all would like to know what he is thinking.(Baja is a 1000 miles long dont need to hit some one behind)Next hour 07KTM525 front sproket bolt falls out(happens all the time on them)So I tell them about the spark plug in the bolt hole trick.We loose a hour on that fix.Next hour TT680 motor in YZ250 frame,front brake hose just broke off master cyl.He did not even crash.He was riding so fast most of us could not keep up.So he had to take highway back 6 hours.We had 20 miles left to get to Rancho for bed and dinner.Problem moron is out of water and falling down every 10 feet.Deep sand wash,hard turns.So we give him water.I ride behind him at slower than walking speed.We make it before dark but the Ktm now is blowing oil out lower seal.So Moron cant ride any more wants:ride::busted: me to get someone with a truck to get him back to my house.In the morn he rents out his Xr4 to KTM rider.So now my ride is over I have to get him back hes hurting.The rest of bikes take off,In next few days two more Wr450s down for the count,then 2 more Xr650s down for the count.Just 2 xr4s 1 xr250 made it.This was the lizzard ladys ride.She rode the xr250 nobody could keep up with her.I will see if they can post pictures later

Yes, any pictures would be most appreciated. I love the country around El Rosario.

A TT680 motor in a YZ250 frame??? I gotta see that please. Post a pic if you have one. Sounds like a fun machine.

You most likely already know this, but just in case - KTM sprocket bolt and cupped washer should be replaced every time you change front sprocket. Red loctite also and torqued to spec. Also, some aftermarket sprockets are slightly thinner than an OEM KTM front and can cause issues. Mainly with the coutershaft seal though. I've never heard of them coming loose like that. Of course I know you guys really put bikes through hell on the long Baja rides so if anything isn't quite right, it's sure to show up.

Lookin forward to the pics, sounds like a wild ride. :busted:

Yes thats good info ,I know a little about Ktms(had 3)Since I do tours here,even a new Ktm right off dealer showroom bolt falls out.I know about washer,aftermarket sprocket,red loctite, torque wrench.What fixed it was (on my own)I drilled head of bolt wired to holes on front sprocket.OOH and watch out for the rear wheel bearings after 300 miles.Riding here is not normal because of super slow trails,then hi speed for hours.It brings out problems fast.Funny thing is most of the riders here have new bikes,but on long hard runs.They take the old Xrs dam good bikes.Most of the riders are now on for Baja 1000 so it will take time for me to get them to post pictures.Im thinking of taking a bunch of TT members for a 3 day trail ride,but you bring your own bikes.If any you guys game let me know.

Yes thats good info ,I know a little about Ktms(had 3)Since I do tours here,even a new Ktm right off dealer showroom bolt falls out.I know about washer,aftermarket sprocket,red loctite, torque wrench.What fixed it was (on my own)I drilled head of bolt wired to holes on front sprocket.OOH and watch out for the rear wheel bearings after 300 miles.Riding here is not normal because of super slow trails,then hi speed for hours.It brings out problems fast.Funny thing is most of the riders here have new bikes,but on long hard runs.They take the old Xrs dam good bikes.Most of the riders are now on for Baja 1000 so it will take time for me to get them to post pictures.Im thinking of taking a bunch of TT members for a 3 day trail ride,but you bring your own bikes.If any you guys game let me know.

That sounds awesome, pm me the particulars on that ride please. Thanks, Dave

MIKE020.jpg

nov09005.jpg

This bike was made years ago,250yz/bore and stroke 680,cam,ported,twin 29mm smooth bores.When he was racing this bike it had all yz tank,fenders seat..Now is baja bike,has tt350 seat,xr600 over size tank.As far as fast,many roll on drag races on dry lake.My bike at the time a Jc ex factory bike Xr650.He left me so far behind ,I was thinking my motor blow up as he was out of view.

A little more details,with Yz tank seat race ready.It is a little lighter than xr4.It is hand made by onwer.Even has oil in frame.Protec stroker crank(about640cc)with 40cc bigger piston.My xr440 has low end like a tractor,but after riding 680,my bike feels like a little girls bike.