yz EG295 vs ktm 300

I am looking for a winter project - I've never owned a YZ, but I have owned an 08 KTM 300xc (along with a collection of CR250's, kx250's, etc etc)

Is the yz295 as good as the 300 ?

pretty broad question really. the ktm motor is alot mellower. the yz295 would be more like taking a 250sx and putting a ktm 300 jug on it. i prefer the yz chasis and handling to the ktm.

hmmm...interesting. I will keep looking for that cheaper yz'inger that needs a motor job. Ktm 300's are still pricey used.

Thanks guys

Hard to beat yz's from a value stand point. Most bang for your buck. I am really liking my eg295. I paid 1700 for my 05 and 660 for the eg kit.

If your desire handling that is light years ahead of the kato, go the YZ. This comes at the expense of snappier power delivery (which you will come to appreciate :busted: ). If your in the market for a 295 you'll be able to choose porting which best suits your requirements.

For the record, I own a 300 and a YZ. Spent a day on a new 300 recently too, but still can't beat the YZ suspension / chassis. The YZ is still a better bike IMO from a handling perspective.

Think of the coin you'll save on the YZ, spend that on suspension setup, decent tyres, perhaps a set of 22.5mm offset clamps and you've got yourself a far superior machine IMO.

Edited by bergermeister