Good bike?

its a little high priced, with a new pipe call it 4750, with cr500af it depends on how well/who did the conversion. a service honda cr500af 2002 would be worth about that, but service honda have balanced cranks, differnt carbs, have start with brand new motors. if i was gunna spend that kinda money, i'd buy one of these first ,( http://www.ericgorr.com/garage_sale.html )look for the cr500af and kx500 hybrid, there both done by eric gorr, so you know there perfect, you dont know who owned or how that bike was used. here's the descriptions. think about it, for an extra 750 bucks, you can a cr500 with a 520 big bore, legendary when done by eric, with porting. or for 250 bucks more get a kx525 with a powervalve, it needs some fabrication still but for the little extra money, you get a outstandingly better bike

KX500 Hybrid with a ’99 KX500 engine and a KXF450 2006 chassis, custom built by Eric Gorr with a unique design of double head stays and vibration isolators. MX-Tech suspension, RG-3 4-point rubber-mounted triple clamps, fat bars, new black rims, UFO black plastic, SDG seat, new Millville tires. The engine is a fresh rebuild with new Hot Rod crank, bearings, seals, clutch, Nikasil plating on a 525cc cylinder, wide powerband, low compression. This bike is in kit form and requires minor fabrication and complete assembly. $4,995 free delivery within a 250-mile radius of Madison Wisconsin. Disassembled and boxed for truck or ocean freight too.

2004 CR500AF Service Honda 2004 motorcycle. CR125 chassis with 1999 CR500 engine. Built by Eric Gorr of Forward Motion. Fresh engine rebuild with new crank, bearings, clutch, piston 520cc Wiseco, and a ported Nikasil plated 91mm cylinder. Keihin 39.5 PWK carb. Chassis features MX-Tech suspension, all new Pivot Works bearings, oversized Sun rims (2.15F, 2.85R) and Buchanan heavy-duty stainless steel spokes, and new Honda hubs. RG3 4-point triple clamp with fat bars, ARC levers, SDG seat (tall, optional short cupped seat), UFO launch fork guards, Moose skid plate and rear disc guard, Fastway adjustable footpegs. Braking oversized front brake. Fresh built and never ridden. $5,500 This is a custom order that was cancelled due to the recession. Buy it for the price of the parts. Custom designed for a larger rider (6ft+220lbs & bigger) with suspension and ergonomics. Free shipping to a 250 mile radius of Madison Wisconsin.

If its built by Service Honda, I wouldnt pay more than $1500 for it. Actually, I wouldnt buy it at all, but thats my money. Good luck!

What's wrong with Service Honda? I've heard their welds aren't the prettiest, but is there a history of structural issues on their builds?

Seems on the high end of what they are going for these days. I'd probably try to talk him down to 4500 and see if he'd meet in the middle. The 3rd gen frame is a plus in my book :busted:

Are you familiar with the CR500's in general? It will be different than your 450 that's for sure. Whether that is good or not is a call you'll have to make. I like the AF500's more than the 450's but that doesn't mean much :busted:

What's wrong with Service Honda? I've heard their welds aren't the prettiest, but is there a history of structural issues on their builds?

Spend some time on this board doing some research. You will most likely end up with the same opinion as mine:

http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=3663277eb364f27ebbb61c284e089454

Or here for that matter:

http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=AF

If its built by Service Honda, I wouldnt pay more than $1500 for it. Actually, I wouldnt buy it at all, but thats my money. Good luck!

Now why is that? I'm just curious.

And I am trying to trade, and I live in Eugene, Oregon, so I think the Eric Gore bikes are going to be out. I can't see paying an another $1500-$2000 on top of my bike.

if your dead set on buying that bike, i'd say strait up trade. also there is going to be a huge difference between your bike and this bike, not just 2 and 4 stroke but 6 years of suspension, chassis and geometry advancements. I got a 2002 cr250 and it handles good, i've never riden a crf450 to compare. I'd find out who did the conversion first, then go from there, check out service honda's site, they have a used bike section, a 2002 goes for about 5 grand, and thats comming from service honda not someone on craingslist. the most i would pay for that bike would be about 3500 if it is in great mechanical shape with no bent radiators or bad wheel bearings, ect