YZ250 18-in rear wheel swap?

So my stock rear Excel is starting to crack at the weld. Not unheard of, apparently.

I've just pasted all the rear wheel group part numbers for a 2001 WR426F, 2002 YZ250 and 2011 WR450F from the Yamaha web site into a spreadsheet and compared them. It looks for sure like the WR426 wheel should swap in directly, and odds are good for the WR450. Anyone tried it and know for sure that it will or won't work?

Picking up a spare on fleabay or craigslist would let me keep a 19 around loaded up with a paddle (just lacing on a new rim eventually), so no switching tires just to hit the dunes.

I see Michelin lists 130/80-18 as the size to use in place of a 110/100-18 in their catalog. Makes sense for a floaty, terrain-wrapping off-road tire. Anyone have issues with rubbing when using that wider tire in the YZ swingarm? Are they actually wider, or is it just a French thing to name them differently?

I've been looking at going to an 18 rear myself and probably will at some point. I've found the Michelin tires are much skinnier than the metric tire they are supposed to be the equivalent of. Me and a friend recently got new S12 rears, mine a 19 and his an 18 and they both look like 125 tires.

Found a YZ partout locally (lots more of those than WR - whodathunk?). Will keep that as a 19 to use up my supply of 19-in. tires, then probably just leave a paddle on it. Thinking I'll get a new 18-in. Excel and a set of spokes and relace mine for trails.

The WR450F wheel should swap on. Also the WR250F wheel, it will just be a little less wide. For most people this doesn't matter.

I have 4 wheels i switch out. i did the same thing. I have a 2005 wr450 and a 2001 yz250. I have a race knobby, trials, street, and mud set up on 18's. I switch back and forth the seal spacers.

All reasonably current Yamaha rear wheels interchange up to 09 or 10 and quite a way back. 18s rock. It's like having an instant shock upgrade in the woods. Use a trials tire on it and the long wear of the tires alone will pay for the wheel.

I bought my my 99 yz400 wood bikes with an 18" tire setup already on it and I have a 99 yz250 with the stock 19 setup on it. I honestly don't notice a difference. I use both for woods racing.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the 18" wheel?

I bought my my 99 yz400 wood bikes with an 18" tire setup already on it and I have a 99 yz250 with the stock 19 setup on it. I honestly don't notice a difference. I use both for woods racing.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of using the 18" wheel?

More rubber equals slightly softer ride and less chance for flats. Another big deal is that the 18" gives you the option to run a trials tire.

More rubber equals slightly softer ride and less chance for flats. Another big deal is that the 18" gives you the option to run a trials tire.

You can get a 19" trials tire made by Sherco as I have on on my 09' YZ 250. Personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you are strickly riding 1rst -2nd gear slippery stuff (rocks and roots). As soon as you shift up to third I find it handles like crap due to the soft, low profile sidewall. Every corner is a drifter, braking is way poorer as it just keeps going.

So, overall, it was great for some slab rock but I would go back to to a Dunlop MX 31 for soft conditions rather than the 19' Trials.

Oh, I ran at 9psi as well so not overly low tire pressure for trials tire or do the higher cost 18" swap.

You can get a 19" trials tire made by Sherco as I have on on my 09' YZ 250. Personally I wouldn't recommend it unless you are strickly riding 1rst -2nd gear slippery stuff (rocks and roots). As soon as you shift up to third I find it handles like crap due to the soft, low profile sidewall. Every corner is a drifter, braking is way poorer as it just keeps going.

So, overall, it was great for some slab rock but I would go back to to a Dunlop MX 31 for soft conditions rather than the 19' Trials.

Oh, I ran at 9psi as well so not overly low tire pressure for trials tire or do the higher cost 18" swap.

Seems to me the point of having an 18" trails tire was for the extra sidewall. Having ridden a few bikes with trials tires, a 18" "competition" trials tire is the only way to go in a trials tire IMO. Most of the riding I do suits a trials tire well, and I haven't noticed a huge issue with handling at higher speeds. You just have to understand what the tire is and that it does things differently than a knobby. Even in the mud, trials tires are like cheating.

Swapping to an 18" wheel isn't that expensive considering how much money that we'll throw into other parts of the bike. I've probably got less than $200 into mine. Makes it easier to do when your current wheel wears out too. I would more than likely still be running a 19" wheel if my old rim wasn't beat to hell.:lol:

18's are also easier to put tires on and off.

true!:lol:

I relaced 18" rims on my sons bike and mine. Great tire choices. Also run trials tire. For the type of riding we do, it was a good choice. We have a back up wheel off of a 03 WR 450 also.

A 130 Michelin is a 110 in anything else.

You should go with the 450 rim if you want to run the 110(130)

The 250 is narrower(185 as compared to 215 if I remember right)

If you put a 110 on the narrower rim it rounds the profile.You could put a 100(120 Mich) on it but it wouldn't be as good a choice on a 250 as you have less of a footprint.

The older Michelins (S12, M12, etc) are sized using the old metric rating system. The S12 comes in a 120, 130 and a 140 width 18" tire. That is the equivalent of a 100, 110 and a 120 in the more modern rating system. The 130/70-19 Michelin S12 is the equivalent to a 110/90-19 in the conventional sizing (such as the Michelin Starcross). I've seen a KX500 with a 120 width S12- it is definitely a 125 size tire!

You're kidding right????

I can hand roll on the first side of a tire on a 19" not so on a 18".

I must do something wrong, I can not even get those tires on with foot pressure. Tire iron is the only way I manage to put those tires on.

:lol:

You're kidding right????

I can hand roll on the first side of a tire on a 19" not so on a 18".

:)

tire irons for me also!

It's not that hard. You just have to concentrate on getting the bead in the center hoop and roll her on. Letting the tire sit in the sun for an hour or two before hand doesn't hurt either, and lots ofsoapy water. Some tires are obviously a no go, such as a Maxxis IT, but lots are no problem. My current tire of choice, the 404, rolls right on.

Fronts are quite easy, practise on them first, then you can graduate up to the 19 inch :lol:

Fronts are OK and sun I got plentiful over here. But I got maxxies too so I am home free. :lol: