Sign in to follow this  

Optimal tranny temp while towing

My new truck, an 09 D-max 3500 has an electronic tranny temp display. Just curious what would be considered an optimal tranny temp range so when I hit grades, I can be be proactive (not that I think I will have any problems.) Never hurts to be overinformed.

mx813

Man, another tranny problem, they seem to be "popping up" everywhere!

No...not a tranny problem. Just inquiring on temp ranges when towing. My truck's DIC has tranny temp and curious on optimal range.

Not that it matters..... my truck is usually under 200. Once I hit 200 my monitor lets me know it. I dont think it is too high, just being careful. Your engine is ok to well over 200. Basicly... i dont know.

You want the temp as low as possible! I'd say once your over 180* it might be time to let her cool down. I tow with a chev van and an aftermarket trans cooler, she gets to around 180* rarely ever higher, I've got 380K on the trans and motor w/o any overhauls. Use a REALLY good trans fluid too. I use LE it's friggin expensive, like $8 a quart (errr I just found it on-line for $12.00 a quart), but it's one of the best trans fluids out there, will keep your tranny in great shape!

You want the temp as low as possible! I'd say once your over 180* it might be time to let her cool down. I tow with a chev van and an aftermarket trans cooler, she gets to around 180* rarely ever higher, I've got 380K on the trans and motor w/o any overhauls. Use a REALLY good trans fluid too. I use LE it's friggin expensive, like $8 a quart (errr I just found it on-line for $12.00 a quart), but it's one of the best trans fluids out there, will keep your tranny in great shape!

I agree with this, as long as we're not talking single digits fluids temps...gotta have some warmth to loosen everything up, but cooler is better.

Anything over 180 is the "Danger Zone" in my opinion.

A good rule of thumb is ambient temperature plus 100 degrees. If you surpass that, you could be pushing it too hard. Remember, the fluid is not going to fail at even 230 degrees, but the parts inside are not going to be happy if they're pushing the fluid to that temp on a 60 degree day. Fluid temp is a reaction to friction/slippage within the internals of the unit.

End of October, went over 3 passes en route to a race...max temp was 160 degrees and that was near the summit of each pass. Drops quick on flat to around 135 degrees. Towing this weekend to E.WA to ride (yes in frigid temps) and will keep an eye on it as well as possibly driving in snow...ugh.

non issue with the Allison. Want some added insurance? Replace the regular fluid with Allison approved TranSynd synthetic fluid and never look back.

trans temps should never exceed coolant temps, if they do, you've got a potential problem about to happen.

Hummmm. I may have to look into this. My monitor alarms me at 200. I have gone over three times. Short periods though.

I agree with this, as long as we're not talking single digits fluids temps...gotta have some warmth to loosen everything up, but cooler is better.

Anything over 180 is the "Danger Zone" in my opinion.

Not sure if your statement applies to old technology or not. Not bashing anyones ride, but I've got a 2011 F-150 Lariat Limited with the 6.2L V8 and 6-speed tranny. The normal temp for it is 194. Thats grade or no grade with stop and go traffic. For highway it's around 190. I think 215 is where to start worrying for me.

Not sure if your statement applies to old technology or not. Not bashing anyones ride, but I've got a 2011 F-150 Lariat Limited with the 6.2L V8 and 6-speed tranny. The normal temp for it is 194. Thats grade or no grade with stop and go traffic. For highway it's around 190. I think 215 is where to start worrying for me.

Let me guess, your cooler runs the fluid through your radiator?

That's not a trans cooler, that's a trans cooker. Don't matter what the air temp is, your trans fluid will always be very close to coolant temp.

That's not a trans cooler, that's a trans cooker. Don't matter what the air temp is, your trans fluid will always be very close to coolant temp.

LOL!! I want to say the cooler is in the radiator. I don' know of too many newer 1/2 ton trucks that have an external cooler unless it's an aftermarket add on. It does take a while to get up to 190's. I'm not that concerned at all being I have a 72 month/100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It is very interesting though...

wow that's low my unloaded trans temp driving around is around 190 on my 2011 f350 6.7.

My earlier statement was driving unloaded. I should have clarified that. No test runs yet on towing. Soon though....I'll be picking up a 7x12 or 7x14 enclosed trailer soon!

I don't think there is a vehicle out there that does not have a trans cooler in the radiator.

The trans fluid has to be heated up for proper shift action.

I would say its going to absorb engine heat, ie its bolted right to it so makes sense they will be close to the same. The cooler can keep it from going over that. The cooler is on the cold side of the radiator and does work well, but many HD applications will have a supplemental cooler or many people add it. Just make sure its after the radiator cooler in series if you add it and it doesnt impede air flow across the radiator. .