Sign in to follow this  

1st bike for 12 yr. old girl?

My daughter has been on a quad since she was 4. We are excited that she is finally willing to try a bike. Last weekend we borrowed an xr100 for her to try. Seemed like a great fit, but husband thinks she will outgrow it too quick power-wise. We have a friend selling an xr150, and he thinks that might be a better choice. She is just shy of 5ft. and around 95 lbs. Your thoughts?

there are a few choices

i suggest you visit some bike shops and take her with you , let her sit on the ones that suit her .

when you make a decision ... have a look around for a used version of the one you choose .

find a decent used one and save

TTR or DRZ 125. or Honda's crf 150f (It's crf not xr)

crf150 has the most bigbike feel, and is my favorite of the mid sized minis.. We have a klx140 and klx140l, they are good bikes, with nice brakes, pegs, and estart, but really can't compare to the crf in ride feel.

crf150 has the most bigbike feel, and is my favorite of the mid sized minis.. We have a klx140 and klx140l, they are good bikes, with nice brakes, pegs, and estart, but really can't compare to the crf in ride feel.

The biggest differance in the klx 140 and the crf 150 to me was the 150 was heaver to pick up... yes it may have a little better big bike fell but I'd get my 12 yr old gril a klx 140 or a TTR 125

I'd go with the klx140 or 140L which ever fits her stature better.It is certainly lighter than the CRF,and has more advanced brakes,ergos,suspension is about the same.

The biggest differance in the klx 140 and the crf 150 to me was the 150 was heaver to pick up... yes it may have a little better big bike fell but I'd get my 12 yr old gril a klx 140 or a TTR 125

For riding slow, the 140 is the way to go hands down! For a more aggressive rider, the 150f is the ticket. I skipped this stage altogether and went to an 85...

start off with a cr500 and then go on to a maico 700! lol kidding a cfr150 is what one on my friends has and it seems perfect for younger riders

My daughter rode a TTR 125L (larger wheels) when she was a teenager on trails and it worked fine for her. Easy, predictable power, and durable.

I've had a ttr 125 and a crf150f before. If she's 95 pounds and under 5' tall, I have to agree that the crf150f is very heavy for its size, she might not be able to stay up if she slips and puts her foot out. However it has great power for its class. Just my two cents. I imagine the other bikes in that class (140L) are about the same weight though. I would get her the biggest bike she can handle right now/grow into because at her age she would definately outgrow something like an xr100/ttr125 fast. I'd go for the 150 or 140L if she is ok on it at the moment

She still is small. My daughter was that same size when I started her out on her crf80 / xr80. Its got the mellow powerband, is easy to start and has real gears to learn how to use the clutch. Its super important at this point that she be able to get her feet firmly planted, especially when learning to kick start the bike.

Keep in mind that you will only have this bike for 6-8 months (so buy it cheap!) and then you'll go for something a little bigger, like the ttr125. But you have to start her out on this so she doesn't lose faith.

I've been through this with both of my daughters.

She still is small. My daughter was that same size when I started her out on her crf80 / xr80. Its got the mellow powerband, is easy to start and has real gears to learn how to use the clutch. Its super important at this point that she be able to get her feet firmly planted, especially when learning to kick start the bike.

Keep in mind that you will only have this bike for 6-8 months (so buy it cheap!) and then you'll go for something a little bigger, like the ttr125. But you have to start her out on this so she doesn't lose faith.

I've been through this with both of my daughters.

+1:thumbsup:

My wife is just a bit smaller than your daughter and I think most on this site would be amazed just how difficult it is for someone of that size to lift (or even balance) a bike even as small as a 125, 140 or especially a 150.

definately ttr125... it's the learner bike i teach all my friends on and i've rode the piss out of it for a few solid years now (just playing around a good 100+ hours) and it just now needs re-rung... they're tough bikes never had a problem with it (considering what it is!)

oh! and ps, my sister is about the same height/weight and she can pick it up if i pull it out of the hole she got it stuck in! :busted:

I started off on a pw50 and got a kx60 at age 12 I was much smaller then your daughter at the time. I am now 16, 5'2 110 pounds and ride a kx100. The reason we chose an mx bike over a trail bike was because I was a more aggressive rider and mx bikes are drastically lighter then trail bikes. a small wheel kx85 or kx65 might also be a good option.

My sister is 12, Got on my xr200r not a problem, The 200 is a great bike all-round IMO. Can be great for leaning and then step up a little in the trail riding. We have taught several adults how to ride on it and they have had a ball. If she doesn't get to serious about power and want more and more in time. It will last her ages