Sign in to follow this  

maintenance vs four stroke

thinking of buying a 2 stroke because of the expense and time i have to put into my 2010 yz250f, expensive rebuilds, valves etc. are two strokes much easier to look after? any cheaper? when putting in a new piston how often do you need to resleeve the cylinder? whats your maintenance scheldule?

Comparing a 2 stroke with a 4 stroke is quite hard. It is cheaper with the 2 stroke if you do maintenance scheldule and look up the plug each time you get back.

I change pistons each 40 hours now, if you ride hard 30 to 40 hours per piston IMO

The pistons are cheaper and it is quite easy to do. Each 5 to 7 hours I change the oil.

ech 10 hour I look up the carb. Each drive day I look up and do the chain.

But if you ride your 4 stroke slow and loo up the valves, the carb and change the oil as you should the maintenance could be about the same. 4 stroke pistons last longer.

Really the only difference I notice between a well maintained 2 stroke or 4 stroke are the valve checks/ adjustments, and cam chain tension on the thumper, if you keep an eye on those things a four stroke will run just as long on minimal cost IMO. You still have to change oil and filter on the two stroke... plus premix. So it does end up being slightly cheaper I guess.

I usually put about 4-6 pistons through a cylinder at 40 racing hours (high RPMs most of the time) a peice on my 250s (20 hrs on my 125s) before I get it replated which costs right around $200. I replace my crank and bearings at that time as well. It works out pretty good for me. So the simple answer to your question is I put between 250 give or take hours on my cylinders and cranks unless I have a failure which (fingers crossed) hasnt happened yet.

Never sleeve a cylinder! A sleeve is weaker and causes nothing but problems in my experience when compared to Nikasil coating.

• Like 1

You'll get a million answers, and they'll be biased towards 2 strokes since you posted here. Guys range from "I've touched nothing in over 300 hours" to guys that rebuild every 10 hours.

In my observation the 2 strokes are easier and a little cheaper to maintain, and a lot cheaper to rebuild if there's a catastrophic failure.

No need to resleeve the cylinder, they are nickasil plated. Plating gets redone when damaged only, for the most part. Keep a clean air filter and don't run the piston till has a failure and you could likely get 5+ top ends before needing a replate (generally $180-$250, at which many guys then go to a big-bore kit).

• Like 2

If you can do your own maintanance, in the long run i think they are pretty close to the same. The two stroke will be more frequent on rebuilds, but will be cheaper.

The real money comes in when you frag a 4 stroke piston, vs a two stroke. With the two stroke, you may have only $500 worth of damage. With a four stroke, you might have $2000 worth of damage.

The more moving parts, the more money when needing a full rebuild.

ive had both and done a lot of work on both. i believe a good amount of maintenance is required for both, or at least i like to stay on top of it more than most. but i think in the long run 4 strokes and 2 strokes will be similar over the lifespan of the bike. its just the ability to fork over a larger amount of cash less frequently for a 4 stroke or smaller amounts of cash more frequently for a 2 stroke. there is just more parts to wear out on a 4 stroke, and if something was questionable i never took a chance and i replaced the part.

its all about how well you take care of your bike.

I guess the thing that needs to be asked is how do you ride your bike?

Are you a competition racer? Or a guy who rides in the woods and goes to the dunes once in a while? You have a YZ250F, are you using it as a woods bike? I ask because the WR250F is a slightly detuned version and generally can go longer between maintenance intervals.

If you are a serious racer, the two bikes will be a wash as you will be doing topends on the smoker every 3-5 races ($120-150). On the thumper you will be doing oil changes at least weekly and checking the valves weekly as well. Plus a new piston every 4th race or so.

If you just putt around in the woods and hit the dunes a few times a year, your smoker could easily go an entire season on a single piston. Same for the thumper.

The overall engine maintenance on a smoker is considerably less involved than a thumper and cheaper to boot. You will just be replacing topends on a smoker more often, but you will be changing the oil a lot more often on the thumper.

If you have a catastophic failure, there is absolutely no argument that the smoker is about 1/4 the price to repair a thumper. I've owned both and only have smokers in the stable now mostly because of ease of maintenance.

i am a mx racer but not overly competitive. i am mid field junior lites. i think thats about same as back half in grade? i just race for fun. i am mechanicly minded but not enough to rebuild for 4 stroke. every season i put in the shop for valves and new piston and rings. which cost me 500 in just preventative work. on a 2 stroke i can do it my self. i was hoping to get nearly a season out of my piston on a 2 stroke. if i could get 250 hours before i need to put in the shop that would be sweat. i am only 16 and just started 2 years ago. i am improving fast and actualy getting a fair bit of speed now. next season i can move up to under 19's wich allows all 250's.

including 250 2strokes. i thought it would a bit of an advantage if i could race a 2 smoker

against 250f's. how much horse power is there in a 250 2 smoker? i am on a very tight budget as im still at high school and just thought a stroke might be a little cheaper and i all ways worry about my 4 banger randomly blowing up as they do sometimes and costing my 2 grand. whats your thoughts?

117 hours on my YZ250F top end. Planning for 200 but I putt putt in the woods and very occassionally hit the dunes. Same riding style on a two stroke and I'd change it at 80-100 hours. I don't race anything ever.

USED 426F, you get rid of your WRR?

A 250 2t will put out 10+ hp more then a 250f. Piston and gaskets cost $150-200, lots of guys get over 100hrs per piston some change them out sooner..

Have you rode a 250 2t?

If you can do your own maintanance, in the long run i think they are pretty close to the same. The two stroke will be more frequent on rebuilds, but will be cheaper.

:busted: This has been my experience

The real money comes in when you frag a 4 stroke piston, vs a two stroke. With the two stroke, you may have only $500 worth of damage. With a four stroke, you might have $2000 worth of damage.

:busted: This is also very true. So the important thing is to not let that happen. Stay on top of your valve adjustments, listen for the cam chain noise , change your oil and definitely keep the air filter cleaned and sealed.

On my wr450, I got over 5 years, 8K miles (or more) and I only changed the piston. Its been super cheap to operate, just like a 2 stroke.

its all about how well you take care of your bike.

:bonk::thumbsup:

Find the bike you like (2T or 4T), take good care of it, and there's a very, very good chance it will last you a while.

i have not riden a 250 stroke. thats my main concern. i dont want to buy i bike i know nothing about. and none of my mates have one. motocross is all about being smooth and the 2 strokes power isnt as smooth, and also gives you arm pump quicker. there my main concerns. on my 2010 yz250f i do preventative work but it has to be done by the shop. new rings and valves checked every 50 hours and new piston at 100. wich cost me a fair bit. if i had a 2 stroke i would do the piston and rings every 50 hours my self. but on my old 2001 yz250f which my dad now rides, it has over 250 hours and i havnt even adjusted a valve. although i think the cam chain is stretched to the shitter and im not sure if it's worth fixing.

i just want a 2 stroke i can race competitively on and flog the shit out of in the off season and fix it my self. no cares, no worries. i constantly stress about my 250f and even more about my 2001 yz250f as that surely cant have long left in it. maybe even a 2 stroke just for piece of mind?

I know what you mean, but you need to be on the ball with the 2 stroke too just to keep you peace of mind and that is easier on a 2 stroke. That apart I found they have a greater fun factor :busted:

I think 2 strokes are more fun, unless you do wide open dessert or fire roads. I absolutely hate that kind of stuff on my 2 stroke, and would rather ride the wife's 400ex quad if that's the kind of riding we plan on doing. I love being able to loft the wheel in any gear with a twist of the throttle.

I think 2 strokes are more fun, unless you do wide open dessert or fire roads. I absolutely hate that kind of stuff on my 2 stroke, and would rather ride the wife's 400ex quad if that's the kind of riding we plan on doing. I love being able to loft the wheel in any gear with a twist of the throttle.

Whoa there buddy :busted:

I know 2 strokes and 4 strokes have a different kinda ride and that its sometimes preferable to ride one over the other, but this whole "rather ride the wife's 400ex quad" is going way too far. You just lost me on that one.

i have not riden a 250 stroke. thats my main concern. i dont want to buy i bike i know nothing about. and none of my mates have one. motocross is all about being smooth and the 2 strokes power isnt as smooth, and also gives you arm pump quicker. there my main concerns. on my 2010 yz250f i do preventative work but it has to be done by the shop. new rings and valves checked every 50 hours and new piston at 100. wich cost me a fair bit. if i had a 2 stroke i would do the piston and rings every 50 hours my self. but on my old 2001 yz250f which my dad now rides, it has over 250 hours and i havnt even adjusted a valve. although i think the cam chain is stretched to the shitter and im not sure if it's worth fixing.

I think the advice we all are giving you assumes you do your own maintenance. Its not hard at all once you get into it. Pistons, rings and valve adjustments take me a couple of hours on my 4 stroke. I change the rings only when the piston is still good and it saves a couple hundred bucks in parts. Labor should be free cause you do it yourself.

the yzf's are really, really reliable. You should not be replacing a bunch of parts.

Riding a 250 smoker will be a world different than your 250F. Lots more power on the top (very noticeable) and you have to ride it "differently". Really you should see if you can borrow a 125 or 250 smoker and see if you even like their power delivery. Otherwise I would just go through the topend of your 250F and keep riding it. If you can do the maintenance on a smoker, you can do the maintenance on a 4 stroke also. Yes, it is a little more involved, and you will need a machine shop involved if you need a valve job, but those older Yamaha 4 strokes are just about as close to bulletproof as you will find.

USED 426F, you get rid of your WRR?

Shrub,

Nope, she is in the garage for the winter now. Got our first snow today. I put over 2000 miles on it this year as a commuter and trail rides. Need new tires again before spring.