Enclosed trailer for car

I just bought a cheap vw tdi jetta. I'm wanting to use it to go around to some tracks around here and save a ton of money on fuel. Does anyone know of a small, cheap, and light enclosed I could tow with it? The tow rating on the car is 1500, and I would like to keep the hitch at +-100lbs. I just want to carry one bike, 5 gal of fuel, gear, toolbox, canopy, and my pressure washer. I can do all that under the 1500 if I can find the right trailer. I'd do a three row, but I want my stuff locked up. Thanks.

Search you local Craigslist for a trailer similar the u haul ones. Maybe 6x10, or 5x8.

You might be under your weight rating, but the wind drag is going to put alot of stress and strain on your engine, trans, and drivetrain.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but that frontal area on the trailer is a brick at speed.

Have you thought about an open deck trailer, with a PU truck toolbox bolted on to stow/secure small items that have a tendency to grow legs when your back is turned (tools, gascan, etc)?

For what I paid for the car, I couldn't care less about tearing it up. Besides I've already put a better clutch, drive axles, dif suspension in the thing. I just want it to be safe to drive, and have a trailer that things can be put out of the weather and avoid be stolen too easily. I just want this for shorter trips when I don't feel like driving my duramax. A 5x8 is too big. It needs to be narrower and much lower in height than a typical trailer. I've seen them before, but can't find them now. The trailer will be equipped with surge brakes.

The smallest enclosed I have seen is 4'X6'. It would also have a pretty low ceiling, but you should be able to manage.

For what I paid for the car, I couldn't care less about tearing it up. Besides I've already put a better clutch, drive axles, dif suspension in the thing. I just want it to be safe to drive, and have a trailer that things can be put out of the weather and avoid be stolen too easily. I just want this for shorter trips when I don't feel like driving my duramax. A 5x8 is too big. It needs to be narrower and much lower in height than a typical trailer. I've seen them before, but can't find them now. The trailer will be equipped with surge brakes.

Most of the 5x8s around here are the short height version. I believe the door opening is right around 4 feet.

You will need atleast a 7 foot long trailer to get a standard birtbike inside.

The smallest I've seen at the dealers is a 5x8. Anything else would probably need to be custom made.

I couldn't imagine towing an enclosed down the road in a small car, especially in an emergency braking situation.

Stop and think about this....how fun it's going to be to climb inside a 4x8 trailer with a 5' tall ceiling and get your bike in there and tie it down.

Mock up a box in those specs in cardboard once...unless you're a really small dude, it's gonna be a real PITA.

I know it will be a PITA but I am so tired of spending so much money on fuel. For quick trips to go practice, and to have a car for when I don't need a truck. I still think it will be a good idea. I would be happy if all I could do is get a bike, fuel can, canopy, toolbox, and gearbag in it. I don't care if I have to shove it in there, put my boots in the car, and hang out the window to see LOL. If I find a setup I'll post it up, so far I'm not seeing what I want. Thanks

Trade that little car in for a full size van or p/u truck. How good can the gas mileage be when the car is stressing working overtime to pull an enclosed trailer. If you really want to do this, I would try renting a trailer first to see how the car handles it. Then again, the rental place most likely will not rent it to you after seeing what you intend to pull it with.

I already own a 2008 duramax to go to the track or pull the camper with. I have pulled a 3 rail with my stuff on it and still got 35mpg and the car never got over 1100degrees pre turbo. I really don't think the car is working as hard as you guys think it would. Plenty of people tow way heavier with these cars in europe and here. I guess I'll just keep looking and see what I can find. 3 row might be my only option.

http://northporttrailers.com/2011/carmate-4x6-custom-cargo-enclosed-trailer-stock-11-805

thats a 4x6 link.... not sure the bike would fit unless it does corner to corner. weights about right.....

good luck finding what you want!! enclosed are nice for sure, hopefully it works out for ya!

when we had our neon (:busted:) years ago, i went with an open flat deck. it was 4x6. i had to mount a plank on the centre to let the bike hang over the front and out the back a little. never tried corner to corner, was easy to do the way we did. nice thing about a small flat deck, it was so light, i was able to roll to the front of the garage and flip up on it's back end to store. just tied it to the wall outta the way. was able to get it and the bikes in the garage!

happy hunting!

I've been thinking about this, and the more I think about it, the more I think that your Jetta pulling an enclosed trailer will probably not do much better than your Duramax with the bike in the bed....the wind resistance that enclosed trailer will add to the equation will brutalize your fuel mileage.

And even if you get 5 mpg better than your truck, it's gonna take a lot of miles to recoup the costs of that trailer, hitch, wiring, etc.

MxWilly, Thanks for the link! I'll have to do some figuring but that might work.

Chicken, I can get 35mpg on an open 3 row pretty easy. From the research I've done on the tdi forums, those guys get anywhere from 28-33mpg towing enclosed. I get 17-18 in my duramax with a bike in the bed. You might be right about taking a while to pay itself off. I just want to get good mileage and keep some miles off the truck. I could justify riding more if the fuel wasn't so much.

MxWilly, Thanks for the link! I'll have to do some figuring but that might work.

Chicken, I can get 35mpg on an open 3 row pretty easy. From the research I've done on the tdi forums, those guys get anywhere from 28-33mpg towing enclosed. I get 17-18 in my duramax with a bike in the bed. You might be right about taking a while to pay itself off. I just want to get good mileage and keep some miles off the truck. I could justify riding more if the fuel wasn't so much.

Just keep in mind, fuel mileage is like fish size....it's always bigger if there's nobody present to dispute the claim.

You know some cummins drivers too? lol

You know some cummins drivers too? lol

That goes for just about any diesel truck owner...they all have to convince themselves they're getting the best mileage...which I can understand, what with diesel being almost a dollar more per gallon than gas.

Why not just a 3 rail or a hitch carrier? Put your gas and boots and other important things in the trunk of car.

I know it will be a PITA but I am so tired of spending so much money on fuel. For quick trips to go practice, and to have a car for when I don't need a truck. I still think it will be a good idea. I would be happy if all I could do is get a bike, fuel can, canopy, toolbox, and gearbag in it. I don't care if I have to shove it in there, put my boots in the car, and hang out the window to see LOL. If I find a setup I'll post it up, so far I'm not seeing what I want. Thanks

lets say you got the car for 3k, and the trailer for 1500. How many trips to the track is it going to take to save 4500 dollars in fuel?