Sign in to follow this  

Floating rotors wear out....

and it really pisses me off. I have had a Galfer 270mm oversized rotor kit for 2 seasons now. it is a floating rotor. i noticed that last weekend i had chatter in the front end. i pulled the front wheel off and the rotor has excessive play. it needs to be replaced. the damn thing was expensive!! is there really a benefit to the floating rotor? Does anybody make a 270 mm solid disc? i see where brakeking makes a 270mm rotor but it also floating. i hear brakking is better quality than galfer though. any thoughts guys?

Yup... it seems any floating rotor Ive ever used has had some play in it from the get go. I too switched to a solid wave rotor and have no complaints and noticed no differences in performance.

either of you guys running oversized rotors or stock size. i already have the oversize kit and hate to ditch it.

Im not anymore... I was before I switched to the solid rotor and didnt like the slight "sloppy" feel. I may give one a shot some other time, but for the time being Im sticking to what works best. I only used mine for a limited amount of time so the difference in the price I bought it for and what I sold it for was only $25 so I wasnt out a bunch of money.

Maybe someone will chime in with something that was possibly done wrong to give the front end the sloppy feel? If it was something I did wrong maybe Ill pick another kit up.

Use a hammer and a punch to tighten the rivets back up.

good idea. you mean just peen the edges of the rivets?

By the way, I am almost certain that Braking and Galfer source their parts from the same place. The rotor designs are identical, and Ludo even once recommended a set of Galfer brake pads to me when he owned Braking. Hmmmmmm.........

The floating rotors are supposed to have play when cold...not much, but some is needed to allow for heat expansion. I do get the point if they are worn out, though. Maybe its like so many other good motorcycle ideas that dont work out well in the dirt?

The floating rotors are supposed to have play when cold...not much, but some is needed to allow for heat expansion. I do get the point if they are worn out, though. Maybe its like so many other good motorcycle ideas that dont work out well in the dirt?

Interesting thing with the road racers, if they don't have floating discs the brakes tend tograb as the pistons are not pushed back enough to give adequate clearance to the disc.

Personally I prefer the floating discs.

You dont want to mush the edge of the rivet over, you want to crush the whole thing. do it in a star pattern.

i got ya. that makes sense. i'm thinking an old socket the size of the rivet will probably work well.

my rotor has alot of play in it. hot or cold. really doesnt matter. it makes a chatter noise constantly and cant be helping the performance of the front brake any.

i tightened up the floating disc i had before with a hammer and punch a little at a time and try to get the same float on them all. discs do wear out but thats because they are working well ,sometimes some types of pads are harder than other ones,and some stop better than others ,its all a balance of the best parts to get the best brakes you can and its a racing bike and things wear out. philip

i wa able to get the slop out of mine with the hammer and punch. thanks for the tips fellas. i also noticed that the small metal retainers in my caliper were worn out. i replaced those and that also helped with chatter.