2012 KTM 250SX, 350SX-F, or 450SX-F?

When I bought my '09 KTM 250 XC two years ago, I planned on riding 85% trails / 15% MX (as I had not done ANY MX riding and was not sure if I'd like it). Being able to lug around with my son and ease of maintenance was important, and the E-start was a very nice feature (coming from a '98 Honda XR 250 that would NEVER kick over - ha ha).

Well - things change :busted: Over the past two years, I haven't really done any trail riding at all. My son and I both LOVE MX riding and it is pretty much all we do.

Although the XC is capable on the MX track and I really do like it, I am considering something more purposefully suited to MX riding. MOST important to me is a bike that handles the track really well, feels light, and is comparable in power to my 250 XC. I'm 41, 190 lbs, and just out there to have fun (not racing). Maintenance on either bike is not an issue, and E-start is not a deal breaker either way.

I am considering the 2012 KTM 250 SX, 350SX-F, and 450SX-F. I have NEVER been on the newer 4 strokes, but read lots of good things (and some not-so-good) about the 350 and 450 Fs. I plan on riding a friend's Kawi 450f this weekend to see how different it is from my 2T.

What do you guys think I would be happiest with?

Thanks!

Dan

Ride the 450, then decide! We can't tell you what you will like. Ride a 250f as well, as most riders are faster at mx on a 250f than any other bike :busted:

That's probably the way to go about it :busted:. If the 450 doesn't rip my arms off, I might like it :busted:.

Besides, the 250 SX is VERY hard to find; I might wind up having to wait until next year anyway.

I think either the 350 or the 450. My buddy went to test ride all the ktms and he sid the 450 was INSANE!!! He said it didnt snap much off the bottom but he said once it hit the midrange you better be holding on hahaha.

He said it would smoke my 09 yz450f. But then again i would ride to really see what you like. The 250f are nice because you can swing them around a lot easier. and same with the 350.

But man for any ktm i think you will be more than satisfied.

They are all great bike but if it were me making the decision i would go 450. cant hurt to have that extra power haha

Thanks man!!! good luck and god bless!!!!

Alex

I have 450 sxf 2011 for about a half year. I have 505 big bore on it and Akrapovic slip on and still the bike is really manageable. It is strong, no doubt about that, but it is smooth as no other 450. If your arms hurt you just sort shift it and you are fine. But I am sure that you will notice the weight difference to your 2t. It is something that you need to get use to, but I still think It is easier to go fast on this than on 250

i rdoe a 350 couple weekends ago, it was awesome!!!!

yeah ... the 350 is sweet

Thanks for all the replies so far guys :busted:.

Ideally, I'd be able to test ride all 3, one after the other, and then decide. Since that isn't possible, "What bike should I buy?" is the next best thing :lol:.

I had Factory Connection re-spring & re-valve the suspension on my XC for MX riding earlier this year, so there really isn't a great reason for me to get rid of it, other than I want to try something different, like a 4T :busted:.

So if the 350F (& certainly 450F) are similar in power to my XC, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy :bonk:.

250 sxf and 350 sxf or xcf are BAD bikes stay away from them! Thei njections get clogged, very poor reports, I would go with a jap 250, kx250f have a buinch of new crap, the rmz 250 '12 is the same as last year, the crf 250r always has a little bit of changes done to them, I would really get a rmz 250, kx 250f yz 250f( yz250fs last for a long time if you dont rev the little guy, 450's are fun but a little over rated if you need to work on monday. my dad just ripped his rotator caugh just from a whole shot on a 450, last year it was his right arm now its his left, and the compression when your hot and the bikes hot and oyur tired only wears you out even more. 250sx are very sweet bikes though. yz 250 2t's are in the question too. what ever you do, read reviews and what not, alot of the magizines might say they are great bikes....but thats right after they are broken in, they dont put many hours on it before they box it up and send it back, so they dont really find out what wears out on them. read the ktm forums 350sxf's always are in the shop, maybe next year might be better ( 2013) hondas IMO are the most comfortable to ride, whatever you do have fun. ride it before you buy it.

250 sxf and 350 sxf or xcf are BAD bikes stay away from them! Thei njections get clogged, very poor reports, I would go with a jap 250, kx250f have a buinch of new crap, the rmz 250 '12 is the same as last year, the crf 250r always has a little bit of changes done to them, I would really get a rmz 250, kx 250f yz 250f( yz250fs last for a long time if you dont rev the little guy, 450's are fun but a little over rated if you need to work on monday. my dad just ripped his rotator caugh just from a whole shot on a 450, last year it was his right arm now its his left, and the compression when your hot and the bikes hot and oyur tired only wears you out even more. 250sx are very sweet bikes though. yz 250 2t's are in the question too. what ever you do, read reviews and what not, alot of the magizines might say they are great bikes....but thats right after they are broken in, they dont put many hours on it before they box it up and send it back, so they dont really find out what wears out on them. read the ktm forums 350sxf's always are in the shop, maybe next year might be better ( 2013) hondas IMO are the most comfortable to ride, whatever you do have fun. ride it before you buy it.

I have definitely been reading all about the FI issues with the 350F. When the bike works, guys seem to really like it. But there are certainly enough issues out there to make me hesitant.

I should have said "So if the 350F (& certainly 450F) are similar in power to my XC, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy, AS LONG AS THEY ARE WORKING PROPERLY."

I have definitely been reading all about the FI issues with the 350F. When the bike works, guys seem to really like it. But there are certainly enough issues out there to make me hesitant.

I should have said "So if the 350F (& certainly 450F) are similar in power to my XC, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy, AS LONG AS THEY ARE WORKING PROPERLY."

I would seriously consider the 2012 yz450f as well!

I would seriously consider the 2012 yz450f as well!

+1 on that the yz450fs aren't bad bikes at. Considering I have an 09 but still the Yamaha are awesome reliable bikes. Never had a problem mine yet. And the parts are a little cheaper than the ktm.

I'm going to look at the Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, & KTM 450Fs on Saturday, then I'm going to ride a friend's Kawi 450F. Worst that'll happen is I'll love it and then won't know which freakin' bike to get :busted:.

If I don't like it, I'll probably stick with my XC until I'm able to get my hands on a KTM 250SX :bonk:.

Thanks for helping me work through all this :busted:.

I'm going to look at the Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, & KTM 450Fs on Saturday, then I'm going to ride a friend's Kawi 450F. Worst that'll happen is I'll love it and then won't know which freakin' bike to get :busted:.

If I don't like it, I'll probably stick with my XC until I'm able to get my hands on a KTM 250SX :bonk:.

Thanks for helping me work through all this :busted:.

The sx and xc are nearly the same bike, as a c class rider, you should be able to win any race on the xc

250sx. I got pretty lucky on finding one, the first dealer I contacted is getting one in January, I couldn't get there fast enough to put a down payment on it :busted:

i would go with the 250 sx if i were you.

idk if this will help but, my friend who races with me is a die hard kawi guy and i have a kawi but iv been telling him how much i like ktms and hes like eh i dont like them. yesterday he came home to a 2011 350 and his dad told him its his new open class bike and he went to ride it at a practice track. he came to school today asking if anyone wanted to buy his kawis lmfao

The sx and xc are nearly the same bike, as a c class rider, you should be able to win any race on the xc
i would go with the 250 sx if i were you.
idk if this will help but, my friend who races with me is a die hard kawi guy and i have a kawi but iv been telling him how much i like ktms and hes like eh i dont like them. yesterday he came home to a 2011 350 and his dad told him its his new open class bike and he went to ride it at a practice track. he came to school today asking if anyone wanted to buy his kawis lmfao

You guys are just confusing me now :busted:.

sorry aha, but in 2 hours of riding yesterday he became a 100% convert to ktm because of the 350 sx-f and im really waiting for a good deal for me to get one