Sign in to follow this  

dual sport type race ?

hi, Does anyone in the East do any endoro type races that are just a point to point race with no time keeping or check points. Not a 2 hr hare scramble, but a 100 mile plus race through varied terrain. So there would be some fast open sections and some very difficult tight sections. I would like to see differnt classes for differnt bike types. The Shenndoa 500 as a race, or the Hammer run, or the Durty Dabbers same course mostly but have a race class.

Classes could be by bike size / weight and could also have a open class or run what you brung ect..

I sort of see in my minds eye a east coast version of the baja 1000, but would probably have to be shorter. Maybe somthing like the blackwater 100, but i am not sure how that was set up.

Point to point race is called a Hare and Hound. We have many many of them in the west but I doubt it there is enough land to put one on in the east.

I would join and look at AMA magazine or web site to see what is scheduled in your area.

It's not a race but the Hancock dualsport is much what you describe. Dave

He said he is looking for a RACE. As a Dual Sport event promoter since 1986, the last thing I want is for some guy thinking he is Joe Racer riding one of my events.

I had one and sent him a letter requesting that he never come to one of my events again.

He said he is looking for a RACE. As a Dual Sport event promoter since 1986, the last thing I want is for some guy thinking he is Joe Racer riding one of my events.

I had one and sent him a letter requesting that he never come to one of my events again.

The Hancock dualsport is 300 guys from NJ on KTMs that think it is a race... part of the reason I recc'd it!

Dave

I ride a xr 650 l, so i would like to compete against other heavy non race type bikes.

It would be cool at the end know how you did in your class and overall.

Itsd hard for me to judge how " fast i am " because there are isl ot of stop and go and chit chat on the rides. I dont get passed by many big bikes.

Just so you know the insurance is much higher for races then dual sport rides and under most circumstances you can't have a race on public roads.

I ride a xr 650 l, so i would like to compete against other heavy non race type bikes.

It would be cool at the end know how you did in your class and overall.

Itsd hard for me to judge how " fast i am " because there are isl ot of stop and go and chit chat on the rides. I dont get passed by many big bikes.

If you stopped for chit-chat (on a sunday at Hancock) you probably got passed by me on my XRL, heh.

I go at Hancock at a steady pace, not too quick, but not many breaks, typically only when I see a bright light and beckoning dead relatives.

Missed this past year, did the previous 3 (on sundays)

Dave

Maybe the weight class could be combined bike/rider/gear.

I'd be somewhat into the quarter-ton class...

Dave

Not sure if this helps, but you can ride an Enduro in the Sportmans class which is pretty much a dual sport. No time keeping or points.

LOL, I did the Shenandoah 500 a few years back. A bunch of guys rode it like it was a race. I left dead last (I was in no rush) and finished in the top 75. the other guys crashed a lot or otherwise DNF'd. Tortoise and the hare.

You want to race, then run an enduro, a Six Days or a Baja. D/S rides are supposed to be easy going, safe riding events. If you come close to crashing, you are riding way too fast.

In the spotsmans class will you get a finishing time to compare against other riders/ bikes

Or a time from check point to check point?

It seems like a hare and hound type race is what we need.

The big thing i would like to see is a mix of terrain. Some single track, but not 50 miles in a row. Some nasty hill climbs with maybe a bailout option that is longer. Water crossings, two track trail with whoops and jumps, fast fire roads. Maybe it would be more like a rally? Somthing where one type of bike is not vastly better then another.

We have the basic courses with good terrain in most dual sport rides, just not the ability to race on those courses.

I would love to do baja, but its 3000miles away. Enduros dont appeal to me because it seems like the east coast ones are 100 miles of non stop single trac. plus i dont get the point of trying to get a certian time between two points. Shouldnt you just try to get there as fast as you can and either race another rider or the clock.

I am not a " fast rider" but i can ride my fast pace for a long time. Plus i dont want to compete head to head against ex pros and 20 yr olds without a mortage on KTM's.

I want to see how well i do against other 35 yr old bald guys on 350lb bikes.

I'm kicking around the idea of a big bike series that would include a MX race or two, a pair of hare scrambles, a su-moto race and 2 enduros. Combined score of all the events and you have a few throphies and sweatshirts for the riders.

I'm thinking of 2 classes, singles and multi cylinder bikes, all with a MINIMUM weight of 300 lbs so no EXC500s, Aprilia 550s or 2t bikes. All the true DS big bikes we know and love, XR650l, KTM Adv, BMW 650 and up, stuff like that, maybe even the flyweight DRZ and WR250r?

It is an idea in its infacy right now but its not too far from reality. It would be based in the NY/NJ area, never more than 2.5 hours from NYC.

That what you might like to see?

Keep an eye for it. What you suggest would be awesome and is basically ralleymoto but the entry is over $400 and there is all sorts of support you need. Most bike guys have dropped out from what I hear.

Getting something like that to fly around NJ/NY would be near impossible. Public land won't allow over 25 MPH. Those enduros are timekeeping events and even they are under great scruitny and pressuse, don't know how long they will be around so enjoy them while you can! Stringing together 100 miles of private land, well, good luck!