Sign in to follow this  

Fork spring rate identification

I just did a complete front end swap on my DR650. I replaced the stocker with one off an 03 RM250. I thought that by putting a bike that weighs 150 lbs more on 'em would offset the 2 inch difference in travel/ride height. But it seems to be riding a bit high in the front still, despite having replaced the mushy stock shock spring with one that's 16% stiffer. That brought the rear up some, but the front end still feels a bit high. It kinda 'throws' itself into turns the further off center I turn the bars.

I think the fork springs may be aftermarket(stiffer). How can I id the spring rate?

Go to Race Tech dot com and use their fork spring calculator for each model. That will at least tell you what was stock and what you should be using.

He put RM forks on a DR650. Might as well throw the RT chart out the window.

However, to get the proper spring rate, you should be able to add the difference in bike weight to your body weight.

2 inch longer forks are going to make your bike handle like crap. You might want to make up some limiters or maybe add some bar risers along with some flatter bars.

2 inch longer forks are going to make your bike handle like crap. You might want to make up some limiters or maybe add some bar risers along with some flatter bars.

Bar risers would allow me to drop the front to about where I need it to be.

Great idea pal! Thank you!!:busted: