Sign in to follow this  

How to ship a dirt bike?

Hey everyone, I live in PA and am going to visit my brother who lives in the mecca of motocross, San Diego. I am flying, and I obviously dont want to go there without a bike so i can ride all the famous tracks there, Pala, perris... Can you guys give me some tips on breaking my 09 Kawasaki KXF450 down and shipping it? Mechanically, it is no problem, I have had bikes down to just the frame a number of times. But can u guys give me advice on HOW to ship it if you have ever done this before? Any special advice on how to do things the cheapest and easiest way without any lost parts in the mail, what types of boxes or totes to use, which carrier to send by, everything! PLEEAAASEEE HELPP!! it will be greatly appreciated!

Just a suggestion, you might could drain the fluids, remove the wheels (for smaller area) band it or chain and lock it down to a palette send it freightline, cheaper then you could do it piece by piece. I ship alot of equipment for my business and it sometimes amazes me how cheap we can send stuff for. If interested PM your zip and the zip to ship to and I can rough figure you a shipping quote if you would like. Also a rough weight, you can figure a bike palette will weigh right around 50 lbs.

wheels off and bars down is the traditional way. Cant get much smaller with out a complete tear down.

I am willing to tear the whole thing down if i have to, just to get it as small as possible. but how would i go about shipping it this way the cheapest and safest? thanks...

I used uShip.com this summer to ship a KX125 from Florida to Minnesota. Bids ranged from $225 to $950, one way. Guess which one I picked? No prep necessary, just turn off petcock.

I used uShip.com this summer to ship a KX125 from Florida to Minnesota. Bids ranged from $225 to $950, one way. Guess which one I picked? No prep necessary, just turn off petcock.

thanks, im gonna try that!

I was told to check uship. Im trying to get my bike shipped from my house in cali to college in texas. I just got the lowest bid which is $350.

Also depending on how many days your going to ride, Chaparral Motorsports rents out dirtbikes also; I know they have 450's and 250's for sure. I believe theyre $150 per day, but id see if you can get a multiple day deal.

Also I would add Milestone Mx to your list of tracks, my favorite track and alot of fun to ride. The desert is sweet too, ocotillo wells is a great place and its not far from san diego.

This will be expensive.

It would be easier and way cheaper to buy a $1,000 Cr or YZ 250 in San Diego, use it for a week, and sell it for $1,000 when you are done.

Just a thought.

I've shipped many heavy items to various places around the world. Freightquote.com had surprisingly low rates. For a dirtbike, I would figure how small I could get everything and build a crate out of plywood. Double 2x3 or 2x4 on edge for the feet, 1/2 or 3/4 plywood base. Make the base pretty strong so you can screw stuff down to it and make sure the screws don't come through where the forklift blades will be. 1/4 plywood sides with 1x3 corners and braces. Pack loose items inside a cardboard box inside the crate. Measure and weigh the crate, drop off and pick up at a freight terminal for best rates.

That said, depending on how many days you're going to ride, you may be way better off renting a bike while you're there.

Cost me $250.00 to have bike shipped from Washington state to Minnesota through U Ship.There were at least five differant bidders .Good luck with your quest.

See if a TT'er in San Diego will rent you a bike.

Who/what is "TT'er"? I am definitely interested in renting a bike if it is a reasonable price, other wise I will probably just give my brother money to buy a bike in San Diego before I get there, then he can sale it once I leave, but that requires a lot of money that I don't want to take out of my savings lol...thanks for the help guys

TT=Thumper Talk:p so a Thumper Talk Member

haha, i just figured that out, im rarely on this site, dumb on me...thanks though:bonk:

Id contact the airline I was flying with and ask what it would cost to have it on the flight.. I haven't done it but I know that there are people that have flown across the oceans when traveling around the world that have.. They might just roll it into the cargo and strap it down and only charge you 150$ or something each way.

Id contact the airline I was flying with and ask what it would cost to have it on the flight.. I haven't done it but I know that there are people that have flown across the oceans when traveling around the world that have.. They might just roll it into the cargo and strap it down and only charge you 150$ or something each way.

I bet it would cost more than that! Im pretty sure surfboards are about that much to have with you.

To the op I just got a bid for $150 to get my bike shipped from uship, thats your best bet besides renting. But keep in mind youll pay double since you need it shipped back too.