Sign in to follow this  

Which Bike would you buy?

So I'm looking at two different 650R's. Which one should I buy.

The first one is a 2002 that looks like it's hardly been ridden, paint isn't even scuffed up on the engine covers and frame. Uncorked, Clarke tank, LED headlight, bars and handguards, street legal. Well maintained, low hours

The other is a 2000. Its also pretty clean, not as clean as the '02 though but it has more stuff done to it, uncorked, big gun complete exhaust, vapor computer, aftermaket top clamp with fatbars, heavy springs, Clarke tank, rewound stator, street legal.

I'm leaning towards the 2000 since its had the suspension done. Would anyone hesitate on a 2000? I know they really didn't change anything on them but graphics.

go for the 2002. Its newer and ridden less from the sounds of it. When a rider puts on all the after market stuff sometimes it can through the balance out if not done right and you could have headaches down the road. PLus this way you can mold tour bike the way you want it, your touch. Ive been riding a 2000 since 07' aand has provided me without issues since. Mine is uncorked, and other than that the rest is basically stock except for fat bars and a 100 watt stator, buy and fit, no rewind. Its street leagal and I needed to run my headlight and turn signals when sitting at a stop. friends have all that after market stuff on theirs and they seem to be adjusting and running issues most of the time. Mine rips and is tuff to keep up with. Id go with as new as you can. There all vritually idnentical from 2000 other than a few minor things that were changed. You can look it up.

Yep..Jokers with all the flash gear tend to thrash their bikes..Most stock for safety from thrashing..Not totally correct of course as some just like to think they're going fast so put the "look at me" stuff on,, good guideline for buying is a pretty stock bike...

Here's the part I left out:

2002: $3800

2000: $3200

I think the guy with the 02 is priced a little high.

Yep..Jokers with all the flash gear tend to thrash their bikes..Most stock for safety from thrashing..Not totally correct of course as some just like to think they're going fast so put the "look at me" stuff on,, good guideline for buying is a pretty stock bike...

Are you pointing a finger at me there Reg.......just cause i like all the fancy chit doesn`t mean i can`t make you eat dirt behind me:moon:

:bonk:

;)

Oh.wait till CW gets my head reworked,cam,new JE piston,new rod,kibbleWhite springs and valves done.porting.then you can tease me......you won`t catch me,,but you can tease:lol::bonk::lol:

And yes,,i ride like i stole it,all the time.......but where`s the fun in riding like a girl..:lol:

:busted::busted::p:lol::p

B

Are you pointing a finger at me there Reg.......just cause i like all the fancy chit doesn`t mean i can`t make you eat dirt behind me:moon:

:bonk:

;)

Oh.wait till CW gets my head reworked,cam,new JE piston,new rod,kibbleWhite springs and valves done.porting.then you can tease me......you won`t catch me,,but you can tease:lol::bonk::lol:

And yes,,i ride like i stole it,all the time.......but where`s the fun in riding like a girl..:lol:

:busted::busted::p:lol::p

B

Are you getting one of his hrc cams? Should run pretty dam strong even with the stock oe carb.

It will feel like a new bike after all that work.

Edited by pwrpapa

Here's the part I left out:

2002: $3800

2000: $3200

I think the guy with the 02 is priced a little high.

They both seem a little high to me,I'd get either one,, if it was at 2500.

It's a buyers market.:busted:

I got my 01 piped with stock tires and sprockets still on it for 3200 at a dealer back in 06.(?)

They both seem a little high to me,I'd get either one,, if it was at 2500.

It's a buyers market.:busted:

I got my 01 piped with stock tires and sprockets still on it for 3200 at a dealer back in 06.(?)

I think the resale on the big XR is a little higher here in the SW than other places.

$3800 isnt a bad price for an 02. I paid 4300 and had to outfit it with street legal gear. it is newer and since they dont make them anymore value does go up a bit with newer. If the tricked out one is cheaper even with all the jewelry, there may be a reason. Like ridden hard and put away wet. Get him to start it and see how smooth that goes, listen for engine knock and ticks. Check oil level, if perfectly filled, he may of topped it up or changed it, ask him. May indicate an oil burner. If within range of top up and reletively clean and hasnt changed it recently then id suspect its not an oil burner. Plus check for blue smoke when started. Look at air filter and box. Clean is a good sign of a maintained bike. Run through the gears standing, if smooth then gear box probably ok. These are little things to check when getting an XR.

P.S when you do get it, open that baby up, widen all intake restrictions, drill out that tailpipe muffler and jet it! Then hang on cause that thing will want to lift off! Great bikes man. Trouble free if you treat it right.

Giver man!

They both seem high to me too. I paid $3600 last year for a 2002 street legal CA bike as clean as the 2002 you describe WITH full Talon supermoto setup as well.

I wouldn't go with either for that price, but if the 2000 is in good running condition I would lean towards it. Check these forums as there is some part updated 2002 and on you want to make sure gets updated on the 2000 if you get it. I want to say some kind of bearing or seal but someone will know.

Are you getting one of his hrc cams? Should run pretty dam strong even with the stock oe carb.

It will feel like a new bike after all that work.

Yup,,HRC cam,headed reworked,KW springs,valves,,10.5-1 JE...crank,,,and who knows what else:smirk:

B