Best aftermarket tank for 450x??

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger tank for my 05' 450x and am wondering what would be the best option? I want something a little over 3 gallons and nothing bigger than 4.

I am looking to upgrade to a bigger tank for my 05' 450x and am wondering what would be the best option? I want something a little over 3 gallons and nothing bigger than 4.

IMS 3.2 is the most popular.

Then the Clarke product.

no troubles with my IMS. Plastics and rad. guards fit well, holds gas :busted:

no troubles with my IMS. Plastics and rad. guards fit well, holds gas :busted:

+1 :busted:

IMS 3.2 is the most popular.

Then the Clarke product.

Clarke is 3.6 gallons, fits well..

I have a IMS 3.2 on mine and I like it.

I would only purchase an IMS. I have had issues in the past with Clarke tanks rubbing on radiator hose clamps and other parts underneath. I have never had one issue with an IMS and I have raced with them for over 15 years.

I have one for sale used once 125.00:thumbsup:

PM sent to ya!

i have the 3.2 ims

i use primus fuel bottles for a bit extra

another vote for the IMS 3.2...I found a used one on Craigslist and I was able to save a few bucks...Condition was not perfect but neither is my bike...

That sucker is a rolling 76 station! You better need to go a LONG way between gas stops to justify that one, they are HUGE!

I have the Clarke, it's O.K. but I would prefer the IMS, it's big enough but not obtrusive like the Clarke or that behemoth you linked to. My Clarke was a gift so I didn't have a choice.

The IMS is a great tank. The only problem I have is I also have Moose Racing radiator cages and with the IMS tank the shroud plastics dont fit so well, but a little trimming with the Dremel and they almost lay against the tank but not quite...no biggie really. Get the IMS but just be aware that you could have some shroud fitment issues depending on what radiator guards you have or get.

That sucker is a rolling 76 station! You better need to go a LONG way between gas stops to justify that one, they are HUGE!

This is what I have and I think it is great. For me and my DS riding this is the perfect tank size. Get about 170 miles from the tank. My riding is usually right from the garage and once out in the dez there just aren't any gas stations for a hundred miles in any direction. The fit and finish is excellent, hardware is top notch. The plastic is pretty stout and act as nice rad guards. The lines are very unobtrusize and the width is barely wider than the stock shrouds. I just don't feel it on the bike. To say it's a behemoth is overstating it quite a bit. The 3.2 and 3.6 gals of the IMS and Clarke tanks just didn't justify the cost for such a small additional range. I guess if you ride from your truck then probably no problem.

I drive to my riding spots so from what it sounds like the IMS will be the best tank for my bike. I appreciate the help!

Most organized DS rides require about a 100 mile range so the 3.2 or 3.6 should be adequate. I can stretch the stock tank to close to 100 if I'm really careful and there's not too much sand.

I'm lookin for a deal on the Acerbis version if anyone knows of one out there.

Does anyone have any pictures with the Acerbis 4.1 tank installed on the bike?

Acerbis is the brand and this one is 25 litres! Not my bike, a guy from an Aussie forum

Bald20Hill.jpg

Edited by MrNoodle