Sign in to follow this  

300 XCW good for a big guy?

After really riding my new to me KLX650, I've decided I want something a little lighter. After doing some searching it seems the 300 XCW fits my needs. A buddy of mine said to ask if they are fine for a "fat bastard". I'm 6'2" and 245 without gear.

After really riding my new to me KLX650, I've decided I want something a little lighter. After doing some searching it seems the 300 XCW fits my needs. A buddy of mine said to ask if they are fine for a "fat bastard". I'm 6'2" and 245 without gear.

I am the same height/weight --

Just got a 08 300 XCW. I have 2 rides on it and love it. I should have bought this bike years ago. I ride/race harescrambles in tight eastern woods. I should have done this a LONG time ago. Be sure and get springs to match your weight.

I'm 6'1" and about 215 right out of the shower and my 300 will throw me quicker than you can say whiskey throttle if I get out of sorts. I did put some bar risers on since I like to stand quite a bit.

The 300 will feel like a mtn bike coming off a KLX650 (I had the R model).

And will have more power then you will ever need. Great bikes.

I'm about your size, and I ride a 200XC-W.

I would say the 300 should be fine, hell even a 200 will do the job. Jsut get the right springs for your weight.

Either KTM will feel like a BMX bike after riding a 650!

Perfect. You wil throw rocks as your old XR650 after rolling the 300 XC-W

I'm the same size as you are. I totally LOVE my 300 XCW!!!! Yes, get the correct springs for your weight. The bike has plenty of power to haul your fat a$$ around.

Why do you think it wouldn't be a good bike for you?

I've never seen one in person, just pics on the net. I'm not worried about the power, based on what I've read. It's the size. I feel comfortable on the KLX, it's just heavy. Last weekend I briefly rode a buddy's 03 YZ250 and it felt like a minibike to me. I didn't like how narrow it felt. How would the XCW compare in size to say a 250 two stroke MX bike? My budget will only allow a used one. There is a heck of deal on an 06 local to me but I have to unload my turd of a KLX, it's pretty rough, and save a few bucks for the balance.

It is going to feel narrow, but you will grow to appreciate that. The 08's + will feel a little wider at the tank.

The KLX is going to look and feel like a tank compared to a YZ, XCW, etc. Were the springs on the YZ you rode for your weight? If not, the bike would obviously sit very low. Perhaps this is the "mini-bike" feel of the bike and not so much it's width?

I just put heavier springs on my 250 xcw and the bike feels "bigger" only because it's taller now.

I have a 250 xcw and am taller and heavier than you. It definitely hauls the bacon.... Make sure you get your springs done for your weight.

Coming off of a ktm 690 this thing feels extremely light and flickable as I would expect.

What kind of riding are you after?

Sorry, meant to put that in my first post. Trail riding including tight woods. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination but feel I could be a little faster on a better machine.

This is what 6'3" looks like on a "300cc pit bike" (This is an 07)

I basically need to do the same thing to all my bikes to be comfortable: Tall seat, Pro Taper Windham handlebar and Fastway foot pegs in the low position. The 300 is perfect in tight conditions. The nastier the better.

222920988_Dpgtr-XL.jpg

• Like 1

You guys are small. Give it up. I've left bigger loafs of bread in the port-a-potty. ;)

The tall seat is your best bet, add woods high bars, Scott's under the bar mount & 3" bar risers and you're talking. :busted:

Low boy pegs are a joke. They lower the pegs 1/4 an inch? :lol: Save your jack for the boingers!

P.S. I wear a size 16 boot & look like Elmer Fudd! :bonk: The 300 is the best option for you. It starts tall & you can add the bling to make it a moon buggy! :busted:

Edited by superslyko
In the Tight Woods, it's a magic carpet.

You guys are small. Give it up. I've left bigger loafs of bread in the port-a-potty. :bonk:

The tall seat is your best bet, add woods high bars, Scott's under the bar mount & 3" bar risers and you're talking. :busted:

Low boy pegs are a joke. They lower the pegs 1/4 an inch? ;) Save your jack for the boingers!

P.S. I wear a size 16 boot & look like Elmer Fudd! :lol: The 300 is the best option for you. It starts tall & you can add the bling to make it a moon buggy! :bonk:

Fastway "low boy" pegs are larger than stock, can be mounted 1/2" lower AND 1/2' rearward. I'm 6'2 with size 13 feet, perhaps "small" to some but these pegs sound like a good bet for us larger people, albeit a little pricey! :busted:

I have bar risers too which definetly help.