Sign in to follow this  

08 450 idle and popping problem

well im getting a lot more popping than i use too and also my idle is wird i adjust it to idle good and it want to die i can hit the throttle and the idle stays up so i have to turn it down then it goes to low and i have to up it and then it starts reving too high...its hard to find that happy medium any thoughts?

Check and see if your fuel screw rattled out. Happened to me in the desert and had the same symptoms. Make sure your hot start plunger in the carb is free moving freely as well.

Yes, same thing. They can rattle out if they are adjusted any more than 2-2.5 turns out.

The popping on decel is a sign that it is lean on the bottom. With the assumption that it didn't used to do this, I would suggest simply removing the pilot jet out the bottom of your carb and clean it. I wouldn't be surprised if this makes it run normally/well. Hope this helps. MED

sounds like the vacuum plate/gasket is worn. and the pilot circuit needs going through.

Same bike and same thing hapening to me. Went with a bigger pilot jet and it was good for some time but now the problem is slowly comming back.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN your carb....

DRAIN DRAIN DRAIN the gas each time you ride

Ethanol SUCKS

Also make sure fuel screw is correctly adjusted for your altitude and temp.. normally around 1.5 turns +/- 1/2 a turn

thanks for the info uys ...later today i will get into the carb and hopfully get it going good again.....sorry for the miss spells in the first post trying to do this from my phone on the go....lol

thanks for the info uys ...later today i will get into the carb and hopfully get it going good again.....sorry for the miss spells in the first post trying to do this from my phone on the go....lol

don't make my mistake, the pilot jet has a tiny hole down the middle not just the 8 tiny holes on the side .. make sure the middle is clean. As stated in earlier post, ethanol is bad news. not sure you need to drain every ride, but if the bike is gonna sit for more than a week drain the float bowl. If it is gonna sit more than a month? be sure you at least have stabil in the gas. sitting any longer? for sure drain ALL the gas.

Having the same problem with my 05. cleaned the pilot really well but the problem is still there. Idle jumps all over the place give it throttle it sputters and backfires bad. i let it sit with gas in the carb for 2 months:bonk:

Should I take the carb out for a complete go through

Service your hotstart plunger. If it hangs up slightly in the carb it will give you a lean condition with popping and erratic idle.

finally got to it over the weekend and the slow jet with all the holes was the prob ....all the side holes were good c the middle was plugged. cleaned it out and now she runs like a champ...thanks again