Longest lasting rear tires?

Who makes the longest lasting rear tires? My dunlaps seem to last about a month to month n a half....or 6 rides...before they are worn down to were I have poor traction...and the tires have pretty much lost their bite and competitive edge.

I have been buying intermediate terrain...in both Dunlap and Bridgestone...

In the long ago past...I rode some IRC rear tires that were good...lasted a month n a half...maybe a little more.

What I've found is...the softer the tire the quicker it wears out....so I tryn get tires that have hard rubber. While comparing tires in the shop I usually give the knobs a "titty twister"...whichever one is hardest to twist is the winner. :busted:

A long time ago I bought a Chin Ching rear tire for my 500 Huskey...after n hour n a half of banging knuckles and swearing a new tire on...I was ready to ride...suited up n ready to ride with my Marine buddie Smith...I decided to roost him a little to get things going in the right direction...the joke ended up being on me as my knobbies went ripping off the tire...I ended up with a racing slick rear tire....worst tire I ever bought...Ron Bishops...can't believe he would sell such crap...:bonk:

I also bought a Kenda tire...although it didn't rip apart the first twist of the throttle...it was wasted after the second ride...

:busted:

All this being said...would like to hear from all tire fryers out there...who makes the longest lasting rear MX tire.

DP

You must ride a lot, or have a monster of a bike, or both. I've gone 2.5 seasons with my Maxxis, and now the side knobbies are all ready to rip off, a few down the center. The ones down the center had a little help, because I had used a razor blade to square off the edges after they wore down.

I don't race, so going without competitive grip isn't a big deal.

I think you will hear most guys run the Maxxis IT tires for best wear.

If your talking off-road , try the Maxxis Desert IT , i rode this season and it still looks new ,the knobs are not even rounded of yet

A friend has been running an IRC M5B for the first time and it still looks pretty good after 6 rides. We ride a lot of rocks and it has held up great.

If your talking off-road , try the Maxxis Desert IT , i rode this season and it still looks new ,the knobs are not even rounded of yet

x2! GREAT TIRE!

Maxxis IT all the way, only set back is they can be a pain in the rear to put on sometime.

I think you will hear most guys run the Maxxis IT tires for best wear.

X2

X3

x2! GREAT TIRE!

X4

Maxxis IT all the way, only set back is they can be a pain in the rear to put on sometime.

Put it in the sun first, makes it much easier. X5

I use the Maxxis on my Dual sport and it lasts a couple of months (thats a long time for me, you must turn with the throttle too!)

It needs to be fairly low air pressure in order to hook up, I run mine at about 11psi or so, I only weigh 120 lbs soaking wet so I cant run 15psi like some of you, lol. My rear tire is slippin and sliding all over the place if I pump it up that high.

It is a very hard compound, I have tried every tire there is and I can say Maxxis is your tire if you want long lasting.

Happy riding!

One more vote fro Maxxis IT.

isnt the maxxis heavy as hell though

The 18" rear is a bit heavy. The 19" rear is pretty close to average. Not sure what the 'desert' type weighs.

I don't mind a little more weight as long as I don't have to replace it as often as others. And, they are pretty good price-wise too.

Maxxis IT user here as well. Great tire

Dunlop 952 lasts a long time.

I have no idea how you guys get years out of tires haha. 4-8 rides and my rear is trashed.

who cares! my wallet is heavier with it!

Edited by jlmotox
oops

I get about 2k dualsport miles out of a D606 on the rear. 2.5-3k out of an MT21 front.

Not a real good dirt tire, takes a little getting used to on the street, but for the one do-it-all tire, the D606/MT21 combo has worked real well for me.

Michelin MH3 Starcross, a bit expensive though

Michelin MH3 Starcross, a bit expensive though

i like this tire for sure. i havnet found a tire that lasts for more than 5 or so desert trips. i can run a tire at the track for a LONG time since the dirt is always groomed and soft.

i remember being concerned about finding long lasting tires when i first started riding. i dont even think about it now, once it starts to look a little funky its gone. you gotta pay to play in this hobby.

The Maxxis IT is heavy, and stiff, they require a lower psi to get the grip near equal of a better tire. If your slow you'll love this tire because you'll not notice the loss in traction and they wear well .

For a novice I swear by the Starcross mx2.. 2 seasons on a 450 and one motor later..they still look new! dumbfounded on how the knobs could still be sharp, concrete starts and all..

Right now I'm voting Motoz tires for longest lasting. I definitely like the front tires and as time goes on I'm liking the terrapactor and tractionator although the tractionater is a heavy big very aggressive tire. The terrapactor is lower profiled , light and has a softer sidewall . I have it on my cr and like it and I'm going to try it on my Beta 525 next. It's lasting long and hooks up pretty good.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Motoz_Terrapactor_S_T_Light_Weight_MX_Tires_p/motoz-terrapactor-st.htm

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/motoz_review/motoz.htm