Sign in to follow this  

adding coolant question

Hey everyone, just another quick newbie question. I got the oil changed on the bike this weekend adjusted the chain slack and just went over everything on it quickly and noticed that since my coolant reservior tank has almost nothing in it i was going to add more to it and notice there isnt a cap on the reservoir to add to it? I checked the radiator and its filled to the top. Is there a way to add some coolant to the resevior tank? the bikes an 05 supermoto.

if the radiators are full when cold, i'm not sure you really want to add anything to the expansion tank.

that tank is just there to catch fluid when it expands from getting hot with the engine running (then, when the engine cools and the coolant volume shrinks, it gets sucked back into the radiator). there is no need for there to be much, if any, coolant in there when the engine is cold.

if the radiators are full when cold, i'm not sure you really want to add anything to the expansion tank.

that tank is just there to catch fluid when it expands from getting hot with the engine running (then, when the engine cools and the coolant volume shrinks, it gets sucked back into the radiator). there is no need for there to be much, if any, coolant in there when the engine is cold.

+1:thumbsup:

Yea it just seemed a little too low theres like a drop in the overflow tank. Ill add a little bit thanks for the suggestions.

One of those $1 ketchup mustard looking bottles with the spout on top , push the hose of the overfill ontop the top of bottle and squirt it in.