Bought 09 CRF450R Oil Concerns: Pics Inside

My buddy just bought an 09 CRF450R. Just got it last week and I came over today to help him out with some maintenance and going over the bike.

First thing I noticed was some milky looking oil under the oil cap on the right side of the motor. It was pretty thick, not runny at all.

Second issue of concern was the oil that is drained from the left side of the motor( by the shift lever). At first, it was very grey looking( look near the drain bolt in the pic), then it was more brownish looking..

Also, the oil that drained from the right side of the motor was thin as water.We had just run the bike for a few minutes, but the oil wasn't even hot, leading me to believe it was just worn out as all hell.

I took some shots and posted them below...What gives here? The guy he bought it from said it had 20-25 hours max on it. The bike looks the part too.. VEEERRRYYYYY CLEAANNN....

I ride blue and my buddy just sold his 09 YZ450F to get into the EFI honda. He is a little concerned.

He should have checked the oil when he bought the bike, but I guess thats hindsight now.

Any ideas guys??? Thanks for all the help.

108_2825.jpg

108_2823.jpg108_2829.jpg108_2828.jpg

Edited by bhsballer76

The oil on the right side is the transmission oil but it drains out the left side of the engine so your two issues are the same. The motor oil fills on the left and drains out the bottom.

The oil color makes me believe it has a water seal leak, check the water pump and coolant levels. For it to look like that the oils been run a while and the leak is fairly large.

Some of the color could be from the type of oil the old owner chose to run, we used to use some trans oil that was blue and it looked more grey when drained.

The oil on the right side is the transmission oil but it drains out the left side of the engine so your two issues are the same. The motor oil fills on the left and drains out the bottom.

The oil color makes me believe it has a water seal leak, check the water pump and coolant levels. For it to look like that the oils been run a while and the leak is fairly large.

Some of the color could be from the type of oil the old owner chose to run, we used to use some trans oil that was blue and it looked more grey when drained.

Thats suckssss. I checked the radiator asap and it was full to the top. Were you saying to check the water pump level?? If so, how would I do this?

Its very difficult to get the trans oil hot by running the bike a few minutes on the stand. Even though the cases will feel hot to the touch the trans oil is not heating up. this is normal.

If its an 09 with such low hours it obviously means the bike wasn't ridden much and therefor might have some condensation inside the valve cover. I'd change both the trans oil and engine oil as a baseline, then go out and ride it. After 5hrs change it while both oils are hot.

My guess is your buddy has nothing to be concerned about.

The oil cap on the right side of the motor is the tranny oil filler cap. You are seeing a mixture of moisture and oil there. The thin oil you drained out was the engine oil and you did not indicate that it was contaminated, just thin. The engine oil (left side of engine) drains underneath or more to the right side, and the transmission oil (right side of engine) drains on the left side. Very easy to confuse the two, they cross over between filling and draining.

This is what I think is going on from my experience: I think that you have a bad seal on the water pump shaft and it is letting in some of the coolant into the transmission side of the engine. There are posts on here on how to change it, it is pretty easy and cheap to fix. Look at the shaft to see if it is warn and clean it up before you put it back in. Many will argue replacement, but more than likely it is ok. Not sure if your year has the impeller hole or not, but there are posts on that as well to help you decide if you want to do that or not. It doesn't take very much water in the oil to make it look real bad and the previous owner may have topped off the coolant before the sale and maybe changed the engine oil with a very light weight giving that watery look when you drained it. Good luck and post what you find.

The oil cap on the right side of the motor is the tranny oil filler cap. You are seeing a mixture of moisture and oil there. The thin oil you drained out was the engine oil and you did not indicate that it was contaminated, just thin. The engine oil (left side of engine) drains underneath or more to the right side, and the transmission oil (right side of engine) drains on the left side. Very easy to confuse the two, they cross over between filling and draining.

This is what I think is going on from my experience: I think that you have a bad seal on the water pump shaft and it is letting in some of the coolant into the transmission side of the engine. There are posts on here on how to change it, it is pretty easy and cheap to fix. Look at the shaft to see if it is warn and clean it up before you put it back in. Many will argue replacement, but more than likely it is ok. Not sure if your year has the impeller hole or not, but there are posts on that as well to help you decide if you want to do that or not. It doesn't take very much water in the oil to make it look real bad and the previous owner may have topped off the coolant before the sale and maybe changed the engine oil with a very light weight giving that watery look when you drained it. Good luck and post what you find.

Thanks for all the great info. I put clean oil in the bike and took it out for 4 motos today. Hoping to drain the oil soon and see if its good or if it looks like some coolant got into it. Ill post up as soon as I know.

If the the bike was wheelied into or ridden through a stream while hot for any length/distance, that water in the trans was sucked in there through the trans vent hose. Its pretty tough to push water past the WP seal, past the Water pump shaft seal for the trans and into the trans if the weep hole is clear. Its damn near impossible as a matter of fact.

If the the bike was wheelied into or ridden through a stream while hot for any length/distance, that water in the trans was sucked in there through the trans vent hose. Its pretty tough to push water past the WP seal, past the Water pump shaft seal for the trans and into the trans if the weep hole is clear. Its damn near impossible as a matter of fact.

Cool, we chained the oil and then took it to the track the other night. Put maybe an hour total on it. Radiator fluid was still at the same level when we got the bike home. Thats a good sign.

Going to put a few more hours on it and change the oil.....Hopefully it will look better this time.