Gear Box Problem 2005 250

Hi everyone , i'm new to RMs this is my first post here , I ride a 2005 rm 250 that i love , unfortuanley on sunday i was riding and thought i had a mis fire so i came in and changed the plug and cleaned the carb and went back out , but i still had it , then i realised it only did it in one gear (it was either 2nd or 3rd can't remember now) then i notice that it wasn't a misfire but i was quickly loosing then getting drive in that gear , i changed the gearbox oil tried it again but it was just as bad .Towards the end of the day it was making quite a loud noise in that gear and the bike was jerking (hope that dosnt offend its a normal word here in oz) under drive .

I've pulled the engine and taken the clutch side off , I will stip and inspect everything in the gearbox eventualy , but i have noticed that in the gear shift cam there are small two sets of sausages (pawls) and spings one came out easly the other is stuck down in the hole . Do you think this would have anything to do with my problem ?

Those pawls hold the selector drum in position, so I think if you unstick that one & get it moving properly then you could try out the gearbox & hopefully may find all is aok now- kinda does depend on whether any other damage has happened inside the box (found any bits of metal or filings?); keep your fingers crossed.

It will be 3rd gear pinion, and I think it mates up with 2nd gear (wheel gear) and 6th gear (wheel gear). 3rd gear is splined on the shaft and just slides left and right and the dogs of the gear engage into openings in the wheel gears. What your feeling is the dogs sliding out under pressure and skipping from one opening to another in the wheel gear (this gear spins on the shaft and held in place by c-clips.

The parts you will need is;

3rd gear pinion

2nd gear wheel

6th gear wheel

shift fork #2 for 3rd gear

replace all the c-clips, they are 2-3 bucks each.

and all the gaskets for a full tear down.

About $300. in trany parts and what ever cost you find on gaskets.

I know it sucks. I got two down right now for tranny jobs so I feel your pain.

Edited by Padgett

It will be 3rd gear pinion, and I think it mates up with 2nd gear (wheel gear) and 6th gear (wheel gear). 3rd gear is splined on the shaft and just slides left and right and the dogs of the gear engage into openings in the wheel gears. What your feeling is the dogs sliding out under pressure and skipping from one opening to another in the wheel gear (this gear spins on the shaft and held in place by c-clips.

The parts you will need is;

3rd gear pinion

2nd gear wheel

6th gear wheel

shift fork #2 for 3rd gear

replace all the c-clips, they are 2-3 bucks each.

and all the gaskets for a full tear down.

About $300. in trany parts and what ever cost you find on gaskets.

I know it sucks. I got two down right now for tranny jobs so I feel your pain.

Thanks you were spot on with what i need ,except both shift forks have signs of wear on them so they will be replced . The selector drum is showing a VERY SMALL sign of wear in the track of one of the grooves will that need changing ..?