Grips to use with hand guards

I just picked up a 2005 450X and installed Emgo Pro-Guard Reinforced Handguards. I like the ProTaper MX Pillow Top grips, but they seem to be tad short after cutting off the ends. I'm somewhat partial to my oem half waffle, but had a tough time making a clean cut. Are there any decent MX open end grips out there or something that can be easily cut?

Another issue is throttle play after modifying the stock throttle tube. I just ordered a Zeta Aluminum Throttle Tube with special tapered inside tube design. Middle of tube does not touch handlebars. I'm hoping this will resolve the issue.

Just curious what others are using.

Edited by pbeeny
spelling

I have the pillow top on there now and the stock t-tube. I cut a hole in the end so I didn't shorten the grip.

I cut the entire end off the standard pillowtop grip, so there is no binding of the throttle.

Works great....

DSCN8081.jpg

DSCN7415.jpg

I use these , much easier ,(i have them on my R , my last set of X grips have not wore out yet so i have not needed to replace them , but when i do , i am switching to these) and you get a new throttle tube with each grip set (wont work on Aluminum Throttle Tubes as it comes with the grips already bonded to the tube) it also makes each grip (left and right) the same size instead of having one larger grip on the throttle side , both grips are on a tube that bolts on the left and is a standard throttle tube on the right , and they work with wrap around hand guards without modification

http://www.odigrips.com/mxlock-onhoncrf4-stroke.aspx

I have a piece of copper pipe the size of the handlebar that i sharped the edge of slightly, i put the grips on the bike then use the pipe with a hammer to cut a nice clean circle in the end of them. never had a problem with many different bar, grip, and bike configurations.

I have a piece of copper pipe the size of the handlebar that i sharped the edge of slightly, i put the grips on the bike then use the pipe with a hammer to cut a nice clean circle in the end of them. never had a problem with many different bar, grip, and bike configurations.

Good idea. I have some bent bars I could saw the end off, sharpen it and do the same. I may give the Pillow tops another shot with punching a hole in them.

Lots of good information here. I looked at the lock on grips too and came close to buying them. Since my aluminum throttle tube is in route, I'll give it a try first.

Going from a 230F to the 450X was a huge leap forward. I was actually looking for a 250X, but ran across a good deal on an already modified 450X that I couldn't pass up. After a test drive I had to have it! Love the power :busted:

I cut a length of old steel handle bars about an inch longer than the grips. I sharpened the inside edge with a round hand file.

When it comes time to cut the grip, I lube it up with some WD-40, slide the sharpened end of the handle bar tube in and then use a vice or c-clamp to compress. Makes perfect round cut in grip end.

I tried using a spent 50 cal. brass but the old handle bar worked better.

I do wish I could find a longer throttle tube for that side. You have to cut end off so you can move throttle in-board enough that grip end doesn't drag on hand guard mount. A longer throttle tube would let you use the whole grip and act as a bushing against the hand guard bar.

I also use graphite to lube the throttle tube. It's easy to clean/re-lube now and again and works like a champ.

Good idea. I have some bent bars I could saw the end off, sharpen it and do the same. I may give the Pillow tops another shot with punching a hole in them.

Lots of good information here. I looked at the lock on grips too and came close to buying them. Since my aluminum throttle tube is in route, I'll give it a try first.

Going from a 230F to the 450X was a huge leap forward. I was actually looking for a 250X, but ran across a good deal on an already modified 450X that I couldn't pass up. After a test drive I had to have it! Love the power :bonk:

Welcome to the forum! The 450X will be a lot more fun than the CRF230F.:busted: As you have felt, the motor is a blast. Just get the suspension dialed in for your weight and riding style, next. :busted:

I also prefer cutting a hole in the end of the grips instead of cutting the end of the grip off. It just feels better to me to have a full length grip. You do have to be careful on the throttle side to ensure the end of the grip doesn't bind with the hand guard mount. I sometimes add a few large washers on that end.

one more tip on the copper pipe. If you solder a cap on one end you can slip the grip on the open end and use a hammer to punch out the end on a piece of wood just like a cookie cutter. O.D. of 3/4 copper is 7/8.

Don't even mess with cutting your grips or having your clutch side grip twist and move, get the ODI lock-on grips! I am sold on these, there is no better way especially with hand guards, plus you get a free throttle tube every time you replace your grips! Give'em a try, you wont regret it.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/typeDetail.do?navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=67&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=67&brandId=602&priceRange=allPrices&sortBy=3

odi_08_mx_loc_on_gri_gry.jpg

I guess Im a little vain.. I like the color/grip options other than "waffle gray". If ODI would let me put my own grip on their lock system, I'd buy 'em.

I hear ya, but sometimes function trumps form, especially when its the part you are holding onto. Try'em, and I dont think the grey looks so bad.

DSC01271.jpg

I use these , much easier ,(i have them on my R , my last set of X grips have not wore out yet so i have not needed to replace them , but when i do , i am switching to these) and you get a new throttle tube with each grip set (wont work on Aluminum Throttle Tubes as it comes with the grips already bonded to the tube) it also makes each grip (left and right) the same size instead of having one larger grip on the throttle side , both grips are on a tube that bolts on the left and is a standard throttle tube on the right , and they work with wrap around hand guards without modification

http://www.odigrips.com/mxlock-onhoncrf4-stroke.aspx

Don't even mess with cutting your grips or having your clutch side grip twist and move, get the ODI lock-on grips! I am sold on these, there is no better way especially with hand guards, plus you get a free throttle tube every time you replace your grips! Give'em a try, you wont regret it.

The ODI lock-on grips have a really clean look and have I've read lots of good reviews. I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and ordered a pair (gray). I can always put the pillow tops on that aluminum throttle tube if I don't like them.