Sign in to follow this  

Help! Newbie can't get right side crankcase cover back on!!

So my bike is making a bit of a nasty clanging/clackin noise at idle...sounded like a loose counter-shaft nut to me...So I immediately removed the right side cover with no problems to find nothing wrong that I could see. (Counter-shaft nut was tight, everything else seemed tight and fine to my untrained eye.) The cam chain is tight, valves are tight but still in spec... .12 and .20 I believe. I am stumped as to what this noise may be and am fearing the worst. Now my problem is I cant seem to get the damn gasket lined up every time I goto put that right side cover back on. Are there any spacers or something else that I am missing besides just lining up the gasket and putting the bolts back in?? thanks in advance, I guess it is time to take this drz to my local dirtbike shop and they have the time/tools/space/skills that I lack..haha thanks guys

No tricks that I can thing of. Is there a kick starter? Should be 2 hollow down pins to hold the gasket in position. The cover needs to line up with the crank end and there is the water pump drive to mesh up.

gasket was in like 3 pieces blocking all the holes haha, am I gonna damage anything if I idle the bike for a few minutes without a gasket??

Well yes. You will loose coolant into the motor (assuming you put coolant in). If you want to just start it to see if it will run you could do that with no coolant but I would not run it for more an about 15 seconds.

Why would you bother to put it back together without a good gasket?

Well yes. You will loose coolant into the motor (assuming you put coolant in). If you want to just start it to see if it will run you could do that with no coolant but I would not run it for more an about 15 seconds.

Why would you bother to put it back together without a good gasket?

because I am taking it into the shop anyways, and I assume they want to at least run it for a few seconds to hear the noise it is making. I already ordered a new gasket and will give it to the mechanic when it comes in.