odometer noise

my odometer has been making a sqeeling noise at low speeds. is there an easy way to fix this without replacing it with a spacer or should i just take the odo off the bike?

my odometer has been making a sqeeling noise at low speeds. is there an easy way to fix this without replacing it with a spacer or should i just take the odo off the bike?

Have you lubed the cable, ODO gear, and housing?

it could be your wheel bearings are toast

i pack the gear and housing with grease every time i take the wheel off, i have not oiled the cable tho. and the last time i changed my tire the wheel bearings were fine. the bike has been making the noise since before i did that. I thought greasing it would have solved it but it hasn't.

this was discussed in a thread just a couple of days ago but I had the same problem with my 05 and no matter what I did for lube the squealing came back. :busted: Mine was coming from the drive unit in which I just got sick of it and bought the flatland racing odo drive delete spacer. I had to ditch the stock odo to fit the X2 HID light anyway. No more squealing and easier front wheel changes now too. :busted:

this was discussed in a thread just a couple of days ago but I had the same problem with my 05 and no matter what I did for lube the squealing came back. :busted: Mine was coming from the drive unit in which I just got sick of it and bought the flatland racing odo drive delete spacer. I had to ditch the stock odo to fit the X2 HID light anyway. No more squealing and easier front wheel changes now too. :busted:

I did a quick search of the forum and didn't come up with anything except for people trying to get rid of the stock odo. i would like to keep it because its nice to have an idea of how far you are traveling although if i cant fix it i will Probably just turn out a spacer on the lathe to get rid of it.

mill a nice trick one out of aluminium, ditch the stock odo, and get a GPS. it'll keep your mileage, average speed, max speed, etc, and tell you right where you are when you run out of gas too. :busted:

mill a nice trick one out of aluminium, ditch the stock odo, and get a GPS. it'll keep your mileage, average speed, max speed, etc, and tell you right where you are when you run out of gas too. :busted:

i used to ride with a garman etrex, it was terrible in the woods as far as getting service from the satellites and with it mounted to the handlebars it would just shut down when the terrain was rough. i carry it sometimes when im going into areas im familiar with and hope it will help if i need it but hope is not much of a strategy.

i used to ride with a garman etrex, it was terrible in the woods as far as getting service from the satellites and with it mounted to the handlebars it would just shut down when the terrain was rough. i carry it sometimes when im going into areas im familiar with and hope it will help if i need it but hope is not much of a strategy.

Any GPS will shut off when mounted on the bars unless you do somethings to it. First you must put some foam rubber behind the battery contacts to give them more tension, then use some grip tape on the cover, the kind they sell for tennis rackets, to keep the batteries from sliding.

The best thing you can do is hard wire it into your electrical system; problem solved.

how is a GPS not much of a strategy? Even if you leave the thing off and don't turn it on until you come across a problem you it will still tell you EXACTLY where you are. I use a Garmin Rhino 120 that is about 9 years old now and I attach it on the outside web of my camel back which works great. It will lose signal in the real tight tree stuff but as long as I marked where the truck is I can make my way back. Even if that is on foot and in the dark.

Still, back to your original question, the stock odo gear drive will eventually make noise no matter what. If you really want to keep your stock odo I suggest (step 1) buy a new odo drive and (step 2) lube the daylights out of it until it eventually squeaks again, then repeat steps 1 and 2.

buy a new odo drive and (step 2) lube the daylights out of it until it eventually squeaks again, then repeat steps 1 and 2.

I've replaced mine 2 or 3 times. Last time I got two for free from fellow TT members, just paid for the shipping. Got one from a fellow racer once also.